What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Width of Fuselage

[email protected]

Well Known Member
I am building in my basement, and I am about to cut a double door in the wall to be able to get the tailcone out and up to my garage for storage. I need to make sure that the doorway I cut will be large enough to fit the fuselage through as well. Can someone tell me how wide the Fuselage with the main spar stubs is. (no gear)

Thanks,

BIll

If somebody doesn't respond, I can measure when I go to the hangar tonight.

If you are putting in a standard double door frame, you should be good. The fuselage is about 48" and the spar sticks out about another 6" on each side.

57"

Hi Bill,

I've got two 10's here at the Rocket Shop and checked them both for you. If your door opening is 57" the fuse will just squeak through.

Bill,
Will it be a straight shot from your basement to the garage or will you have to make any turns? I ask because the fuse, minus the tailcone, is still about twice as long as it is wide which could make negotiating any turns a problem.

Hi Bill,

I've got two 10's here at the Rocket Shop and checked them both for you. If your door opening is 57" the fuse will just squeak through.

The double doors I added to my basement are 64" wide. So a standard double door casing should work fine.

The problem with the side-by-side RV's is that you still have to remove the gearlegs to get it out that size door.

Thanks again.
Once out through the doors, I will be outside, and should be able to manuver it from my back yard and up to my garage. Just trying to stay in my air conditioned workspace as long as possible.

Bill

I heard that -- I had to move to my garage back in Mar from my basement due to door limitations. The mid-fuse assembly was the last thing I did down there in comfort and it just barely fit out the door. I just permanently mated the forward and mid-fuse assemblies together this past weekend and sweated my *** off!

Last edited:
Of course, you don't need the full width of the gear track to get the fuselage out. If you put it at a slight angle and get one wheel out, you should then be able to move sideways a bit and get the second wheel out. I'm hoping that I can get the whole assembly out of my 72"door that way - maybe......

Don't forget that the wing spar sticks out a bit from the fuselage...not sure if 57" includes them or just the fuselage. -Jim

Measurement

I just now went to my shop and measured the center wing spar - this is the widest point of the fuselage --- 56 7/8".

I don't know how flexible the '10' gear is
but on my '7A' I pulled the gear in quite
a bit towards each other with a heavy strap.
I'm guessing about 6", (three inches per side).
Tom

Edit: Although there was mention of gear clearance
I don't think the discussion was about clearance
with the gear mounted.

Last edited:
Back