What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 wheelbase

dspender

Well Known Member
Patron
I am planning on building a 10 in my upstairs workshop, but before proceeding I need to know how wide apart the main tires are from outside to outside. I need this dimension because if the distance is too wide, it may not fit through my exit opening. dennis

Mine is

Just over 8'.

This is subject to load----more weight (engine ETC), more spread.

BTW, the 8' is with engine and fuse basically done.

Also, big welcome to VAF Dennis, welcome aboard

RV10 wheelbase

Just over 8'.

This is subject to load----more weight (engine ETC), more spread.

BTW, the 8' is with engine and fuse basically done.

Also, big welcome to VAF Dennis, welcome aboard

Thanks for the welcome.
followup question
The space I have to extract the completed fuselage is about 6 feet wide. Can I build the fuselage on an elevated platform and when completed remove it from my workspace to a garage with 8 foot doors and there put on the landing gear?

re: yes you can

Because the fuselage is real close to 4' wide. You'll have to "wrangle" the airplane sideways at an angle then scoot it over then pull the tail back to get it through the 8' door later. Kind of a pain in the butt, but it can be done.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM
fuse/panel/wiring

Yes. That's how the fuselage is assembled anyways. The landing gear doesn't come until the finishing kit. Many of us just have the fuselage on a roll around stand until the gear is attached.

I haven't mounted my vertical and horizontal stabilizers yet either due to space restrictions. I'll mount them when I move to the airport. I'll barely have enough room when I mount the tailcone to the fuselage.

You can check out what I've done. My kitlog link is in my signature. Another good source of fuselage stand information is William Curtis's site. http://wcurtis.nerv10.com/fusestand/index.html

bob

I haven't figured out yet how to post "Quick Reply" yet, so I am replying this way.
Thanks for your ideas William. I plan to build the kit on the second floor of my two story carriage house. I can extract the project via a 6 foot "hay loft" door and bring it down to the first floor where I can add the landing gear and engine.
My dream is to hire a fork lift to bring the project through the hay loft door down to the first floor for finishing. Does this seem doable? Any suggestions on how to support the project while the fork lift brings it out the hay loft door down to the first floor? dennis

I figured out how to quick reply.
I will need to extract the fuselage out this 6 foot "hay loft" door from front to back, or back to front, not side ways. I assume with some thought I could construct a platform upon which to build the fuselage that could be lifted with a fork lift to remove the project from the second floor to the first floor. Does this make sense?

I will need to extract the fuselage out this 6 foot "hay loft" door from front to back, or back to front, not side ways. I assume with some thought I could construct a platform upon which to build the fuselage that could be lifted with a fork lift to remove the project from the second floor to the first floor. Does this make sense?

If you look at my fuselage stand, it's basically a 4' x 4' platform. You would probably have to extend the length of the platform to accomodate the use of the forklift. My only concern would be maintain the CG on the forks while lowering.

Another alternative would be to put the fuselage in a sling harness and use that to lower the fuselage from the loft. I currently have my tailcone hanging from the ceiling using some moving straps.

bob

How long is the fuselage minus the firewall forward and empennage parts?
I believe Tim's site has that figure.
I did my emp and attached the tail in my sun room (12 x 24), then moved them out. Did my wings there next and then moved them out. Did my fuselage up to attaching the tail and moved it out thru French Doors to the garage. There I attached the tail, finished everything including the wiring and then added the gear, etc.
All very do-able.
I am finding that once you 'move to the hanger' your progress slows to a crawl compaired to when you work at home.
Gary

Yup, my work area only has an 80 inch exit so even though I have fitted the main gear, they are removed until I exit. The temporary stand I'm using will allow me to continue to build in my work area for a majority of the fuselage until I move to the airport.

The fuselage is about 212 inches without the engine mount, add another 42 inches for the engine and mount and another 15 inches for the prop and spinner.

Fuselage00b.jpg

My project will be built on the second floor of a carriage house. I can extract the fuselage through this "hay loft" door which is 6'wide by 8'tall. I believe I could build a rolling fuselage stand as Bob L has, roll this near the exit of the hay loft door such that a fork lift could get close enough, possibly placing the firewall against the uprights of the forklift, and lift up the fuselage to take it out the hay loft door. Possibly strapping the fuselage down to the forks of the forklift will help keep it stable. The fuselage needs to come out the door lengthwise. I like Bobs mobile stand. I think I could construct it so that the lower portion would have slots built in to eventually accept the forks of the forklift. What do you think?

My project will be built on the second floor of a carriage house. I can extract the fuselage through this "hay loft" door which is 6'wide by 8'tall. I believe I could build a rolling fuselage stand as Bob L has, roll this near the exit of the hay loft door such that a fork lift could get close enough, possibly placing the firewall against the uprights of the forklift, and lift up the fuselage to take it out the hay loft door. Possibly strapping the fuselage down to the forks of the forklift will help keep it stable. The fuselage needs to come out the door lengthwise. I like Bobs mobile stand. I think I could construct it so that the lower portion would have slots built in to eventually accept the forks of the forklift. What do you think?

I think it will work. HUGE pucker factor during the operation, but it should be doable. Good Luck.

Dont install the fiberglass top, rig a bridle from the spar stubs, so that you are hanging the fuse from them.

Have an extension arm on the forklift, that will reach beyond the firewall to the pickup bridle.

Actual moving will still be a bit tail heavy, I suspect, but not too much for a person to walk the tail out to the edge of the second floor, use a rope to control it as it is lowered down.

Another way, rig a couple of wheels directly below the spar stubs, build some ramps down to the ground, pick up the tail and walk it out and down the ramps.

Good luck.

Back