What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 vs RV-12 Build

GDS

Well Known Member
Greetings, I finished an RV12 last summer and am considering an RV10 as my next project. Can anyone comment on differences in the build between the two kits? If I went with the RV10, I would go quick-build and most likely firewall forward purchased from Vans. I would install a bare bones IFR panel, too. Besides the obvious differences in cost and size of the AC, what are the differences in time to build and complexity of techniques? Thanks, Gary

Can be quick, or not

I know a guy who built an award-winning -10 in a little over 11 months. It took us over 5 years to build a not-so-award-winner.

But, the -10 is one nice airplane, when completed.

I have only seen pictures of an RV-12 being built......but I think the biggest difference would be the flush rivets. A lot more prep work and I think more skill to drive all the rivets.

I really enjoyed the project....I was a first time builder...but my brother-in-law is an f-16 sheet metal mechanic. He helped a lot with all the riveting....

My total build time was around 2500 hours (just my time), I do not know how much the quick build would have reduced that by.....but my guess would be 300 - 500 hours.

This is going to be a hard question to get definitive answers to, I dont think many folks have already built both a 10, and a 12-------so most of us are just offering opinions, not experience based data.

So, here is my opinion :D

Rivets is a big one as stated above.

Fuel tanks.

Fiberglass top and doors.

Wiring----IIRC, the 12 wiring is a pre-made loom.

Sheer size and number of components.

I'll take a stab at it, 4 to 6 times the work depending on how you go and how many bits you get stuck on and have to repeat.

We did ours in 8.5 months of build time in a 12 month period. We had a pro help us so effectively there were 3 equal inputs. Where we saved a heap of time was having the help of Critter who has built about a dozen RV's or helped complete for others.

I love our -10 :)

As a 12 builder I would say most of the comments are most likely on the money. I have not built a 10 but I have watched many neighbors do so. The biggest difference not mentioned yet is a very big one. You can build the RV12 entirely by yourself...it can be a solitary adventure. This does allow you to work whenever you wish. The 10 has things that can be alone but driving rivets is not generally a one man job. Both of course are wonderful planes with different missions and Van's DNA markers can be found in both.

Very helpful responses, thank you.

Pulled rivets are definitely easier and require less skill. There were about 11,000 in the RV12, no problem to pull several hundred in a day when doing skins. There are probably 500 squeezed rivets, and most don't show.

Good point on the wiring, too. Don't throw things at me, but running wires throughout the RV12 fuselage only took a couple of days, the avionics took three more days to install and all the lights came on. To design and build would obviously take much longer. Maybe I should take a trip to the Van's factory and look at the kits.

Gary

Back