What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 vs. DA-40

rotoiti

Well Known Member
I don't yet know anyone with an RV-10 but a local club has a DA-40 on a flightline. I was wondering how those two compare. Is it worthwhile to get checked out in DA-40? I should mention that I never flew a stick airplane (basically all my time --180+hours) is in a 172 or PA-28).

My experience is similar to yours and when I went for RV-10 transition training I had apprehension concerning not only the stick, but with the free castoring nose wheel as well. It took all of about 30 sec to get used to both. IOW, they are non-issues. If you are thinking about getting checked out in the DA-40 solely to get used to a stick, save your money.

I haven't flown a -10. The DA40 is a great airplane. Great flying qualities, very good visibility, nice slow speed handling and stall characteristics. It is lacks the speed of the -10 and the excellent payload / range of the 182.

Compared to the 172 and pipers, the DA40 is a much better airplane IMHO. If you want a certified 4-seater to fly that is more fun than the 172, the DA40 fits the bill.

Disclaimer: I like the DA40 so much, I almost bought one.

bdr_on_wing.jpg

TODR

Go for it

I don't yet know anyone with an RV-10 but a local club has a DA-40 on a flightline. I was wondering how those two compare. Is it worthwhile to get checked out in DA-40? I should mention that I never flew a stick airplane (basically all my time --180+hours) is in a 172 or PA-28).

If what you have available to fly now is 172's, Archers, and the DA40, then YES! Get checked out in the Diamond. I was recently in the same boat and after flying the Diamond I just can't get back into a spam can. The stick is absolutely a non-issue. In fact, to me at least, a stick is way more natural, and alot more fun.

The DA40 is a different animal than an rv10. It's more of a 3 place airplane with limited baggage where the 10 is a cargo van by comparison. In the certified world though, it's hard to beat the DA40 for the money. 137 knots is not RV fast, but it is nice seeing those numbers when your used to Spam Can speed(or lack therof.)

If you are looking for something to fly while you build your 10, and your options are 172's and Pipers, give the Diamond a try. It's not an RV, but it's alot closer!

Alan
Working on practice kits, wondering if I should prime them........

I wish I had a DA-40 while building.

I did most all of my flying in 172's. A little in a -9A. Transitioning to the stick- 5 minutes, castering nose wheel- 30 minutes, slick airframe- two approaches(oops were here already). Flying the DA-40 should get you well prepared for the RV-10 in many ways. If it does not have tinted windows you will roast on a hot sunny day. Same in the -10 until you reach 12,500' in 10 minutes. The RV-10 can climb higher and faster, uses less runway, has adjustable seats, burns close to the same fuel flow at 140 ktas(we rarely cruise that slow) and only 10.5-11 gph at 160 ktas depending on altitude. They both get about 15 nm/gallon. They have similar weights. One thing on the -10 to watch for...it likes to sink fast with throttle to idle, full flaps and below 70 kias at gross. The -10's landing gear cannot take 5' drop-ins like the 172 or DA-40. The big thing though is you will spend half as much. Look for used ones and also half finished kits if you have the patience to wait. Welcome to VAF and have fun in the Diamond.

http://www.diamond-air.at/news_detail+M5edfae473d5.html

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&ID=B68A4F81-9A10-4E19-9528-692CFAD86C60

Last edited:
while i haven't flown an rv-10 yet,

i had considerable experience in a DA-40 TDI (first generation thielert) with a G1000 glass cockpit, which was also the last certified aircraft i regularly flew before transitioning to our RV-7A.

as others have noted, the stick is a non issue, it's so much more natural and you'll never want to go back. in fact, only a sidestick ? la long-ez (about the single best aspect of that airplane) would be better yet.

what i found valuable about the DA40 experience in retrospect was that it teaches you to fly gently and smoothly. the stick feels really precise, especially in the pitch axis, but it's not as well balanced as in the rv's. also, the tdi is severely underpowered during landing/takeoff, which again teaches you more precise handling. cruise performance was fine due to the turbo, though. think of learning to drive on a small car with a tiny engine. just not as forgiving as a powerful automatic. pipers and cessnas are trucks, gear takes a lot of beating etc... in that sense the diamonds are likely as close as you can get to the general handling of an RV in the certified world (less aerobatics).
payload/to performance sucked, that's where cessnas clearly have an edge. it was essentially a two persons plus baggage airplane.

if you can arrange flying a da40 (or da20 as a matter of fact) instead of cessnas and pipers during the build, great, do it! however, i wouldn't spend money on da40 time just to transition to the RV. rather spend that money on extended / good transition training. it's still plenty different.
i guess i'd go as far as saying "flying anything as much as possible during the build" does it. too many builders i know cut back too much on the flying during construction, which steepened the curve once it came time for flight test...
i'd opt on the side of taking half a year longer to complete but still be able to fly regularly.

if you have more questions re the da40, feel free!

regards,
bernie

gear takes a lot of beating etc... in that sense the diamonds are likely as close as you can get to the general handling of an RV in the certified world (less aerobatics).
The DA40 (and DA20) have VERY sturdy gear. I'm not sure about how it compares to RVs, but when I was shopping for one, the instructor I flew with in one AC dropped it in from about 4 feet twice, no damage. Supposedly during certification, they did 16,000 cycles without any cracks.

Overall, this is a very stout airplane. Remember that they did the certification with one of the dual main spars cut. You would have to work hard to bend the airplane.

TODR

At gross weight in the -10, I would hate to see the gear mounts after dropping in from 5'! The RV's are not trainers even though some take that risk with them.

My experience is similar to yours and when I went for RV-10 transition training I had apprehension concerning not only the stick, but with the free castoring nose wheel as well. It took all of about 30 sec to get used to both. IOW, they are non-issues.

And both wonderful, IMO....

I really miss the rental DA20 that used to be around here. All the rental planes I liked drying up is one thing that kicked me to really get started on the RV! :D

Hah. As luck would have it, I have flown an RV-10 today before even setting foot in DA-40 :) A coworker from Oregon was in the vicinity, doing some panel work and I got the ride! RV-10 is super-awesome (but we all know that). Now, will I have the patience to wait until I finish it...

Back