What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Vertical Stabilizer Tip Fairing To Rudder Misalignment

drewhottub

To see a video of the problem that i describe, Click here---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxv2xjsMjsU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Problem Description:

After I riveted my VS Tip Fairing on to the VS, I noticed that I somehow did the fiberglass layup, within the fairing, in such a way that the Fairing does not line up with the rudder counterbalance, when the rudder is in the perfect trail position!!

This is pretty disheartening I must say!

Anyone else have this problem?

Did you have to cut out the fiberglass layups and start over?

Let me know, would you?

-Andrew*

If you follow the order in the kit instructions, you should not have a problem. Make adjustments to the fit with the foam rib, do the initial glassing. If you use the lightweight core foam (last-a-foam from ACS) you can even leave the foam in place to add rigidity and sandwich it in glass layers. Once the glass is cured and the fit checked is the time to rivet in the tip. If the foam rib won't shape the part enough, try a little heat first to soften the resin.

vertical stab fiberglass

First off, expect all your fiberglass to not be at the standard of the aluminum pieces, which are all pretty much the same from kit to kit, and will require work to make it correct in some areas, there are pieces that fit fine, I think there was,.. ah one maybe ;-)
With that said, yes, I did need to heat the piece and shape it than used glass and flox (not at the same time) the fill in areas. I would call Vans support and tell them about your piece, I dont recall it being that far off.
Best of success!
Pascal

All of my tip fairings (vertical, horizontal) were off like that. I took a heat gun and slowly and lightly heated it, shape it, then flip the setting to blow cold air, and let the polyester set. Once you add the back closeout glass, it will be more rigid.

Oh, just read the part that you already did the closeout. If you heat the epoxy, sometimes it will pop off as well. As is often said, you can always repair fiberglass. You always have the option to cut or grind the closeout off and start again.

Last edited:
I just got off of the phone with Scott, at Vans Aircraft, and he says that I really should not worry about it, and to just keep building.

He and I also discussed the fact that the rudder will most likely never be in perfect trail, at cruise speeds any way, if I wish to "center the ball".

He says that what I showed in my video, is nothing to worry about, and to just keep building!!

This makes me feel better! Thank you all of you for weighing in on this!

Best Regards,

Andrew Boyd

Funny that you post this Drew, my vertical stabilizer tip was also a bit crooked, looked about like yours. I had installed it a couple of years ago, but just the other day I was wondering what to work on next, and decided to rework it. Bought a new tip, removed the old one (had to heat it to get the epoxy to let go), and fit a new one. I agree that it isn't a big deal, it was just one of those little things that bugged me. Now I'll go obsess over something else.

Back