What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 tire balancing

I have the expensive one (2nd one) and it works great. I'm not sure that balancing is the problem though as others have tried balancing to remove that same rumble.

The rumble is a common complaint and several RV-10 owners found the culprit to be the aluminum (tubing) spacers that hold the wheelpant bracket on. Because those were independently hand cut with tubing cutters, they all aren't perfectly identical in length and torque down to different heights. This has allowed some of the pants to rumble.

PlaneAround has some machined spacers that are guaranteed to be the same thickness all the way across and has removed the 20-35kt shimmy on a few RV-10's.

http://www.planearound.com/TWO-WHEEL-FAIRING-BRACKET-SPACERS-FOR-RV-10-WFSPCR.htm

Let us know what you find.

Phl

Last edited:
common issue

You need to do a search on this issue. While balancing the tires will likely help, it usually does not completely resolve the vibrations. It did not in my 10.

thank you

thank you for all the advice.
For now, the airplane is still at the paintshop for one or 2 week.
I have order the du42 kit as balancer.
There is a lot of info on the Tim Olson site.
I will balance the 3 wheels and i will order the NOSE GEAR AXLE SPACER ( i think i have the old one. I didn't built this rv-10)When the front tire have a cap on the valve, it rub . I figure fast enough why the builder didn't put a cap on the valve, I wasn't lost...

unless somebody have a better idea i will do that.

I will let you know how it goes.

Lan Vinh Do

Balancing the wheels might help a little bit but the main shake is from the
main gear shaking for and aft. This is do to the gear design on the 10.
Sometimes changing air pressure will help but usually changes the shake to a different speed. It usually is worse once the wheel pants are installed and you start getting some tire wear. I had no vibration without wheel pants.
The wheel pants shake up and down (nose high nose low).

As Phil stated that the culprit being the wheel pant bracket spacer made from aluminum. That is not the cause but the shake wears those out quicker and it gets worse. The wheel pants makes the shake worse especially if the aluminum spacers get worn.
I have video taped of this from a camera at ther rear under the airplane looking forward. Planearound spacers are a must but it still wont stop the vibration. New tires and a good balance do help but it will be back. You really need to stiffen the gear leg. I know where mine starts and I just brake thru it quickly and you hardly notice it. Mine does seem to be a little worse with more weight in the plane.
Sean Strasburg has done some gear stiffening on this with some success.
FWIW

Geoff
310hrs

everything is ordered

Thank you again
I have ordered the PlaneAround machined spacers for the main wheel, the nose wheel axel spacer and the wheel balancer.
Now just waiting the plane from the paint shop. The timing is good. My annual is due one a couple of week so i will do everything at the same time as i do the maintenance on the wheel.

update

Hi
Just to give a update.
i brought back the airplane from the paint shop and i did my annual.
first, the builder already put a bolt in each spacer so it wasn't rotating at all.
Second, i have balanced all 3 wheels. It was near perfect. !/2 oz per wheel.
Third ... yes, the bracket of the wheel pant was very loose. I have installed the PlaneAround spacer and it's now very solid.

I did a flight test today. I was able to taxi at 25 kt without big vibration. Nothing very noticeable.

On landing, very little vibrato on at a certain speed but probably 1/10 of what it was before. I am OK with that.

So pretty sure it was the main wheel pant and not the nose wheel.

Thank you every body for all your input.

update

The problem came back soon after.
finnaly found the real problem

I had very bad vibration in my rv-10. Enough that i decide to stop flying until i find the problem . I already have balance all the tires, change for the plane around bracket for the wheel pant but it was worst and worst. Really bad.

I decide to change all the 3 tire for good year custom III. I already check if there was some loose in the gear leg before with the tire on. This time, i jack the plane and remove tire to put the new one. I have try to move the gear leg again. Nothing until i put a fair amount of rotation force and then, it move significantly. I check the bolt that atach the main gear leg and landing gear mount. I was almost able to rotate the bolt by hand. The nut was moving too. It look like it bottom out. I add a second washer and torque it. Did de same for my other main landing gear.

The flight today was really great. Almost no vibration. No shimmy !!.

I am afraid it is only a temporary fix. So i will order close tolerance bolt and reamer and if it just begin to vibrate again, i will put these close tolerance bolt ( or i will put them anyway at my annual in 5 month. )

Lan Vinh Do

( should have put the torque wrench at the last annual!!)

Glad you found your problem and got it corrected. I was talking with my friend today, he's in Moncton taking flight instructions. He says you have had lousy weather and he's still waiting for weather to go for his PPL check ride, he's hoping for Tuesday.
Still waiting for your visit here at CLE4.
Ron

Last edited:
Back