What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 size comparison for a newbie

Calisun

I'm New Here
All,

I am thinking of building, or buying, or other..

I have flown a C-172/Symphony 160/PA-28 140/and Pa28151 Warrior.
So far the Warrior has the most room of them all, I have a need for 4 seat and baggage.

So the big question, how is the cabin space of the -10.
I have decided that the over all size of the Piper Warrior is about as small as I can have to fit people and cargo.

Unless I missed it I can not find good number or comparison for interior space on the -10.

how is the -10 compare to my comparison airplane the Warrior?
1.)front seat leg room and side by side
2.)back seat front rear
3.) cargo space aft of rear seats.

Pictures of Cargo area would be great seems to be a unpopular area to post photos of.

thanks in advance.

Mike

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Mike, welcome to VAF, good to have you here.

The 10 is quite roomy, cant really give you exact size comparisons, as I am not familiar with the Warrior, but the factory site has the dimensions posted on it.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-10spe.htm

I flew with Ken in the factory bird, he is a big guy, tall and "hefty", and I am not all that tall, but really "hefty". We fit just fine.

Hope the info helps, I am pretty sure others will join in on the subject also.

The RV-10 is bigger than the Warrior every place but in the baggage area. I used to have a 1973 Piper Challenger which is a Archer with a bigger hersey bar wing. It is about 1.5 feet longer wing per side then 1971 and earlier Cherokee's.
That being said rear leg room is better as is ceiling height. Front area is wider
at the shoulders and very nice compared the the Piper. Leg room is very good and better. The Rv-10 is more comfortable to fly on long trips as well.
As for the preformace the warrior is really only a 2 place airplane in the 140 or 160 HP especially in warmer weather. The Rv-10 will fly you there at almost twice the speed. It is actually cheaper to fly the same distance in the 10 than the warrior because of the speed difference.
As for the Baggage area the Warrior is a little wider back there. Maybe 3"-4"
but about the same height. That has not been an issue so far.

Overall The RV-10 is bigger. You just need to decide if you want to build
or buy. Only you can answer that.

Geoff

The Van's link provided previously shows the RV-10 at a little over 48 inches width in the front seats. The Cherokees are about 42 inches...

Leg room in the RV-10 is considerably more. I'm 6'1" and fly with the front seat about 3" from the aft stop (with forward mounted pedals). The rear seats seem to have a lot more space but I don't have anything quantitative.

One other thing to note - on the drawing on Van's web site it shows the pedals as in-cockpit adjustable which is not true for the RV-10. During the build you can select one of two positions for the pedals.

Bob

HUGE

More elbow room than a Bonanza and more leg room in the back than a V35B. :)

You need to find one locally to take a look, but they are awesome!

The 10 is bigger inside than a c-182 and will haul four 250 lb adults plus 100 lbs of baggage in the baggage compartment. Basically if you can fit it inside you are good to go. I wish I had increased the gross weight 200 lbs over van's recommended gross weight when I did my inspection and got my sign off.

These pics are a couple years old and were taken in the back seat of Dave Saylor's RV-10 prior to the interior being finished. These will bring a smile to anyone that has spent time in the back seat of a Cherokee. I'm 6'2" to give you some reference. There is plenty of room between my knees and the front seat. The back seat is actually easier to get in and out of than the front seat.

IMG_2150.JPG

IMG_2153.JPG

More interior photos can be found at Aerosport Product's Interior Panel Page and the Aerosport Photo Gallery. You'll find several photos of the cabin interior and the baggage area.

bob​

thanks for the picture link

thanks you everyone for the replies.

is the cross bar that is supporting the back seats structural or is it just for the seats??????
I was wondering if the seats can be removed for more varied cargo loads
(camping gear/bikes) seems that the crossbar might be in the way.

Cross bar is structural.

Seats come out in seconds---pull two hinge wires, seat back is loose. Seat base is just Velcro mounted.

With the rear seats out we have plenty of room to get both of our road bikes and baggage in back. At one point I thought about trying to make the crossbar temporarily removable for loading with pull pins or something similar, but never followed through. If anyone has done this, and hasn't fallen out of the sky, let me know.

Jim Berry
RV10

thanks you everyone for the replies.

is the cross bar that is supporting the back seats structural or is it just for the seats??????
I was wondering if the seats can be removed for more varied cargo loads
(camping gear/bikes) seems that the crossbar might be in the way.

Yes, you can remove the seats, although I usually use my belly pod to haul bicycles, skis, 2x4s, ladders, surf boards, windsurfers, model airplanes, camping gear, etc. It keeps my dirty gear out of the cabin and the weight near the center of gravity. The pod can be attached in about 30 seconds whenever I need more space and it comes right off when I'm not using it.

My usual luggage includes a 225cc motorcycle. After parking the airplane, I'm ready to hit the roads in about 90 seconds. It's really convenient and it provides more places to go and things to do with the airplane.

Go with the RV-10, you will love it.

I am used to the configuration of my Cherokee with the seats out. With them out, I have room to slide an ice chest, guns and bags almost up against the front seats. How does it work in the -10? Is there a ledge or hump between the baggage area and where the rear seats were?

Pictures would be great if anyone has some.

I am used to the configuration of my Cherokee with the seats out. With them out, I have room to slide an ice chest, guns and bags almost up against the front seats. How does it work in the -10? Is there a ledge or hump between the baggage area and where the rear seats were?

Pictures would be great if anyone has some.

Here
is a link to Tim Oslon's build log that shows a lot of the interior. Its flat aside from the seat belt mounting points.

Here's a couple of pics with the seat's out from Tim Olson's site of Tim's interior. Note that the seat back brace in the first pic is riveted in-place and is not removeable.

RV200512300005.jpg

RV200512300006.jpg

Only thing to add is that the front seats recline and flip forward as well as slide on an adjustable track for fore/aft adjustment. If you move the seat all the way forward on the track and then flip it forward you can load large items pretty easily instead of wrestling through the baggage door.

Bob

Back