What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Service Ceiling/ Second test

DJP

Well Known Member
Based on ?a little help from my friends? (RV-10 Van?s forum contributors) I had what I feel was a very successful ?do over? of my RV-10 service ceiling test flight. I obviously gleaned a lot of good information about leaning the engine during climb that I was totally unaware of. You do not lean a turbo-jet or turbo-prop during any stage of flight so this was all new to me. After having it brought to my attention in the responses that I got on the forum, it certainly made sense to me. Less oxygen, less fuel.

I took off this morning (July 6, 2011) at 0620. The good news was that the OAT was 52 degrees as opposed to 81 degrees on the previous attempt on July 2, 2011. This time however, I had full fuel (360 lbs) where last time I only had about half that amount.

Somewhere around 12,000 feet I went on oxygen and started to lean. Just like last time I flew to 17,500 and leveled off. At that point I contacted Oakland center and got a clearance to FL200. Last time the engine started to miss and the aircraft response became sluggish above FL180 but this time the aircraft performed well as did the engine. The climb to FL200 was quick and easy and everything was still looking good. Actually I was kind of surprised at the difference from a few days earlier. I leveled off at FL200 for a minute or so and then asked for FL220. Again the aircraft performed well as did the engine. I don?t remember exactly what the rate of climb was but it was still significant, I would guess around 600+ feet per minute. At FL220 I flew in level flight for a few minutes just to see how the airplane ?felt? and was very satisfied with the flight characteristics and the engine performance. At this point I really wanted to ask for higher BUT I was using a oxygen mask that did not have a mic in it and it was difficult for me to fly the airplane and stick my boom mic under the oxygen mask. At this point I was satisfied with the altitude that I had attained and was certain that I could easily reach the Van?s published service ceiling of FL240. At that point I requested a decent back down to my destination airport (KSTS).

This time I did manage to remember to take my camera along and take some pictures of the flight instrument display (EFIS) and the engine instrument display at FL220. Some of you ?eagle eye? types may notice that the number 3 cylinder EGT is showing 582 degrees while the rest are all around 1300. It failed during the first flight a week ago and I have called Grand Rapids everyday since trying to order a new probe but they have been closed all week. It is also interesting to see the pitch attitude of the aircraft, even at FL220, absolutely level. Unlike the last time when I was in a nose high attitude mushing along, this felt a lot better. Also check out the indicated airspeed. Last time at FL18.8 it was 90 MPH this time at FL220 it was 101 KNOTS!

End of story, thanks for the comments!:)

RV10Our

There is a note on GRT's web site that (1) they are having some trouble with their phones, and (2) they recently lost, due to marriage, the employee that usually answered the phones.

Web site says please keep trying, and call again if you leave a message (apparently they are losing voice mail).

There is a note on GRT's web site that (1) they are having some trouble with their phones, and (2) they recently lost, due to marriage, the employee that usually answered the phones.

Web site says please keep trying, and call again if you leave a message (apparently they are losing voice mail).

Thanks for the heads up Bob. They do take a lot of vacation time however. Last year I tried to contact them around Christmas and they were gone for the whole week. I have left several voice messages, I guess I will now try email.
djp

Successful Flight !

Looks like you made a very successful flight to altitude and could have easily climbed past the published service ceiling.
Judging by the number of replies, there is nothing left to fix.
I have to give those oxygen altitudes a try someday when I figure out
what sort of system to use.

I cannot see the third hand in the photo but I think it is off by 200, not 2000, feet.

Note the EFIS is showing an 84 knot quartering headwind!

Is the 2000 foot difference between your EFIS and Standby Altimeter normal?

I have never noticed a difference between the two of more than a few feet but that is always in the 6-7 thousand foot range. Obviously I am 3 times higher in this case so the difference is more significant. I believe it is the standby altimeter that is off and the EFIS is correct.

What was your ground speed up there?

In the screen shot of the EFIS showing an indicated airspeed of 101 knots at the bottom of the green speed tape on the left side of the EFIS at the top you will notice 136 in smaller white numbers, that is the current ground speed. I was heading 250 assigned by ATC and the wind was out of 290 so I was going into a headwind at the time.

Is the 2000 foot difference between your EFIS and Standby Altimeter normal?

I didn't notice the first time that I read your post that you thought the altimeter was off TWO THOUSAND FEET. As someone else pointed out there is a difference of 200 feet NOT 2,000 feet.

In the screen shot of the EFIS showing an indicated airspeed of 101 knots at the bottom of the green speed tape on the left side of the EFIS at the top you will notice 136 in smaller white numbers, that is the current ground speed. I was heading 250 assigned by ATC and the wind was out of 290 so I was going into a headwind at the time.

I didn't notice the first time that I read your post that you thought the altimeter was off TWO THOUSAND FEET. As someone else pointed out there is a difference of 200 feet NOT 2,000 feet.

No, I meant 200. Typo and did not QC my post.

Back