What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Sensor Platform

David Shelton

Well Known Member
Is anyone interested in using their RV-10 for aerial photography or remote sensing? We?re now offering customized cargo pods with camera holes, equipment racks and other features to accommodate a variety of payloads. The entire pod may be attached/removed in 30 seconds so you can quickly reconfigure the airframe for work or play.

Payloads: EO/IR, Laser Scanners, LADAR, Aux Fuel, Speakers, Radio Repeaters, Etc.

Applications: Aerial Photography, Security, Atmospheric Research, Pipe Survey, Forestry Services, etc.

Please visit the website (www.MotorcyclePilot.com) or give me a call to discuss your needs. David Shelton, 847-651-4373

IMG_3780_signalsb.jpg

Education and Recreation?

You have a neat set up David.
No harm in selling your product I suppose.

If I wanted to use your pod for Aerial Photography, Security,
Atmospheric Research, Pipe Survey or Forestry Service, would that fall under
"education or recreation"?

If I wanted to use your pod for Aerial Photography, Security,
Atmospheric Research, Pipe Survey or Forestry Service, would that fall under
"education or recreation"?

Well that depends :)

Atmospheric Research = Education

Examining the native wildlife at the nudist beach = recreation ;)

The FARs are not terribly specific in this area and there haven't been many rulings to specify strict boundaries. Some applications appear to be legal and others do not. In practice, we commonly find experimentals performing payed airshows, skywriting, aerial photography, etc. We leave the interpretation of the regs up to the customer.

In other cases, it is appropriate to convert to another category of experimental airworthiness. For example, one of our customers will be using an RV-10 to evaluate a new type of sensor they are working on. They will be switching to the "Research and Development" category.

Back