What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 rigging problems

rowdyroyce

I'm New Here
I have a RV10 I did not build .I need full left aileron trim to keep the wing level. fuel is balanced. where do I get info on how to check the rigging of the ailerons, flaps, elevator and trim tabs? Anyone else had similar issues? Also the 540 runs a littles hot, any cooling tips anyone has come up with? thanks, Royce

Royce,

I second the logging into Tim's site for info but I'll help you a little until you do. First the flap leading edge needs to be right up against the rear spar, this is a -3 degree reflex position. Once that is confimed you align the aileron and flap trailing edges, I use a soft jaw clamp to make sure they stay aligned. Next verify the trailing edge of the wing tip is lined up with the trailing edge of the alieron. Now confirm the control stick is vertical. You may also want to check that the trim is indeed full left. If it is the Van's bias spring system you will need to confirm what is full left, center and full right. FWIW since you are not the builder and do not have the repairman certificate, I don't think you can't rig your own flight controls but at least you can check them. Tim's site has a good section on fine tuning the cooling.

You can fix the rigging yourself even if you didn't build it. But Tim's site has a bunch of information. Check you rudder trim also if you have it.

Check the rigging as Rick described. You are allowed do this work yourself. The only thing you don't have without the Repairman's Certificate, is the right to sign off the annual Condition Inspection.

Assuming you have/get a copy of the build manual, here are the specifics for alignments.

Bob
N442PM
---------------------------------------
Elevator alignments
11-2 Up/Down Travel
11-6 limit stops
11-7 aft tube rod end bearing adjustment
39-10 control stick elevator neutral adjustment

Aileron Alignment
23-7 neutral position
23-8 bellcrank neutral position
23-9 aileron to flap alignment
44-4 control stick aileron neutral adjustment

Elevator trim alignment
11-10 deflection spec & adjustment

Rudder alignment
11-7 limit stops

Control Sticks
39-9 Control stick parallel alignment

Flap Alignment
44-5 Flap full up position alignment

This is not unusual.

In fact, Vans themselves have told me that once you have the flaps set up against the spar and the ailerons set, the rest is pretty much done and dusted.

Problem is all RV's rol one way or another. The factory RV10 has a trim tab on the left aileron. We fitted one underneat so its not easily seen ;) and it is about 4 inches or so long with a tab width of say 1 1/4" and bent enough to give nuetral stick in flight.

Our electric trim could not even cope with the trim forces!

I would tape one on and adjust it till it works, then paint the tab and rivet it on the aileron in exactly the place you had it taped.

Vans told me the vast majority of RV's need one. Some get enough from the electric trim, many do not.

Hope this helps.

DB:cool:

Back