What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Rear Headset Jacks

Lynnb

Well Known Member
Started looking at where and how to install the rear headset Jacks for the 10 and was wondering if it is best to just buy all the components and build some or can someone tell me what is included in the following item from Van's:

MIKE JACK SET (2 PR)
AV FC-JACK SET

Thanks,
Lynn

I simply bought 2 headphone jacks and 2 mic jacks (plus fiber washers) from Stein or B&C (can't remember which now). The jacks, along with a 12v outlet, are mounted to a square alum plate I made which is in turn mounted to the aft tunnel cover (basically even with the front seatbelt attach brackets).

Like Todd mentioned, get a couple of jacks and mount them in your preferred
spot.
Widely different locations are being used and each will have some advantages
and disadvantages over others.
Mine are located on the rear seat cross bar just behind the inside of the seat back. This leaves the floor space clear of headset cables and the plugs can be reached from either of the rear seats and from the baggage compartment as well.

Others have mounted them on the center console, left and right armrest console or even in the overhead console.
The choice is yours.

Thanks for the replies, one more question, do these need 5 conductor or 6 conductor shielded wire to wire them up?

Thanks again,
Lynn

Thanks for the replies, one more question, do these need 5 conductor or 6 conductor shielded wire to wire them up?

Thanks again,
Lynn

You need 7 wires (2 wires for each mic and 3 for the phones which can be daisy chained together) since there's no PTT. You'll have to mix and match wires together to get at least 7.

FWIW, I used three runs of 3-conductor wires for mine because that's what I had on-hand.

EDIT NOTE: I originally said the 5-conductor wire was OK but forgot you don't daisy chain the mic's together, at least not with my audio panel (PS Engineering PMA5000EX).

Last edited:
Started looking at where and how to install the rear headset Jacks for the 10 and was wondering if it is best to just buy all the components and build some or can someone tell me what is included in the following item from Van's:

MIKE JACK SET (2 PR)
AV FC-JACK SET

Thanks,
Lynn

Assume you didn't get anything from Van's. Following the instructions from your intercom vendor. Installation methods do vary between vendors. PSE has some very specific requirements to maintain their warranty.

As others have already indicated, you can install the jacks in a myriad of places. Mine are in the aft side of the center arm rest from Aerosport Products.

Back