What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 QuickBuild order

Pukauma

I am currently in the midst of my tailcone section, having completed the VS, rudder, HS and elevators. I still feel like a newbie. My boss/princess/wife has given me the green light to order the QuickBuild wing and fuselage kit. I am a lucky man. I enjoy the build, but want to finish before I get too old. The QuickBuild seems like a good compromise for me.

Question(s): I am not sure about what options to order with the RV-10 wing and fuselage? These include:
Electric aileron trim
Landing lights
Float fuel sending units
Static air kit
Flap positioning system

I am pretty sure I am going with the AeroLED's, so probably skip the landing lights. As it is early in the build, I don't have much knowledge on the other items. Any advice or opinions would be graciously accepted.

Am also leaning towards Partain for the shipping, unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Thanks in advance......C D Langlois (Cliffsrv10.blogspot.com)

Not that I can help much on the options, but one thing to keep in mind is if you order the quick build today, you are probably looking at a 6 month lead time, at least that's what mine was, so over the next six months you can decide what to add or subtract from the order, so it doesn't have to all be done up front.

We're about to finalize our QB fuse order which we found out is in, and I'm adding as many bits and pieces last minute that I can to save on shipping.

Lynn

Question(s): I am not sure about what options to order with the RV-10 wing and fuselage? These include:
Electric aileron trim I have not seen the need, autopilot does the job
Landing lights I used factory ones for wig-wag, cut in LE lights
Float fuel sending units Yep.
Static air kit Yep------get the one that simulates the rivet profile
Flap positioning system Yep

I am pretty sure I am going with the AeroLED's, so probably skip the landing lights. As it is early in the build, I don't have much knowledge on the other items. Any advice or opinions would be graciously accepted.

Am also leaning towards Partain for the shipping, unless someone convinces me otherwise. I have had good luck with Partain.

Thanks in advance......C D Langlois (Cliffsrv10.blogspot.com)

See above comments in red.

You should have some kind of aileron trim for the times when you are hand-flying the plane. My plane has a heavy wing and it's a pita when I'm hand flying.

regards

~Marc

QB Kits

Definitely agree on the lead time to add/subtract from the kit.

Some things that I learned along the way...

If you plan on using the Cee Bailey windows, delete the windows and windshield from the QB kit.

Upgrade to the SS firewall heat valves.

If you are going to use the factory oil cooler mounting kit, order it with the fuselage. It is easier to install before the engine mount goes on.

Upgrade the brake lines, talk to Tom at TS Flightlines. If I did it again, I would use the flex lines all the way down the tunnel instead of spending countless hours trying to get the bends in the hard lines just right. I used 5052 aluminum for all hard lines.

Add aileron trim kit.

Add Duckworks landing light kit. You can just get the mounting kit and decide on the type of lights later. FYI aeroleds has a really neat wingtip landing/taxi light available called the Aerosun VX. Unfortunately, it is not native to the -10 wingtips and you will have to use their conversion kit to make the cutout the right size. If you intend to use the safe air 1 ER tanks, make sure that you look very carefully for clearance on these lights. I opted out as I had already finished the fuel doors in the wingtips and didn't want to cut them up.

Add nylon conduit if you plan on running it in the wings/fuse.

Most importantly, check EVERY step on the QB kits. I found several places that the wrong rivets were installed, specifically, they were in the cutout for the cabin top. The QB kit was assembled with AN470 rivets instead of AN426 flush rivets. Not a huge deal, easy to fix, but had I not found it, the cabin top would have been much harder to fit. There were some other minor issues with the QB kits but that was about the worst of it.

Build your wing stands before the wings get there.

A fuselage dolly is nice to have available, too.

BUY THE TUNGSTEN BUCKING BARS, you will not be sorry.

Make sure you INSPECT all the major parts when delivered. One of my ailerons was damaged but the packaging looked fine...Van's replaced it.

I'm sure there is more but there's a start...

Yikes....6 months

Lynn, Mike, Marc and Rocketman.....thanks much for taking the time to respond. That gives me a lot to look into and will help on my decisions.

Given that I am looking at 6 months (I was thinking 4 months, like on Vans website), I may be placing the order in the morning! Gives new meaning to frequent flier miles.

And I appreciate the idea of making accessory decisions while I wait. My guess is that I will find plenty to do in preparation. Thank you everyone.

Responses in Orange
Electric aileron trim -- I'm just installing this now. The need is noticeable to me, to the point where I always draw down the left tank first flying solo.
Landing lights -- These can be installed at any time. I ended up using a leading edge kit for landing lights, and the Van's landing light kit converted to LED bulbs for taxi lights... but you don't need to decide now.
Float fuel sending units
Static air kit
Flap positioning system -- Are you going to use a Vertical Power e-breaker system, or standard old school circuit breakers? The VPX has flap positioning built in. Also, you don't need to make a decision on this until WAY down the road.

I am pretty sure I am going with the AeroLED's, so probably skip the landing lights. As it is early in the build, I don't have much knowledge on the other items. Any advice or opinions would be graciously accepted. -- I have AeroLED Nav/Strobes, and the customer support has been top notch, and the build quality of the lights is excellent. That said, also take a look at Baja Design for LED landing lights. The Squadron Pro LED lights are INSANELY bright, and fit nicely in the Duckworks leading edge light kit (with the blank plate)

Thanks, Novabandit

Appreciate your response also. I did order my wings and fuse yesterday. Woohoo!

I am leaning towards the VPX-pro at this point. Many advantages like the flap positioning, seems to address many issues well.

I also saw the Baja Designs light. Having placed the AeroLED's, if you were to do it again, which would you choose? Not having to touch the leading edge is attractive, but functionality is key.

Back