What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 QB wing wiring

bhoppe2

My RV-10 QB wings came with bushings installed for wing wiring. This is per my plans and also what shows in the RV-14 plans. Many previous posts talk about installing conduit in the wings instead. I am wondering about people's thought regarding staying with the Van's bushings or trying to replace them with the 5/8" corrugated conduit that Van's sells. I could run a few extra wires through the existing bushings to the wingtips, just in case, as I saw in another posting. That may be lighter than the conduit. Removing the bushings and opening up the holes for conduit may be difficult. What do you think?

Actually opening up the holes is not difficult at all with a unibit and drill extension, if you choose to do it. I ended up running conduit in bushings, the weight of the bushings was not even considered...

It's a flip of a coin. Conduit makes it easier to pull wires later. The bushings are lighter, but will require some extra effort to pull wires. In either case, be sure to leave a pull string in the bundle.

I installed the 3/4" conduit that Vans sells.

As for the pull string, I used 50lb test braided fishing line. If you wad a small piece of masking tape on the end of the string, you can suck it right through the conduit with a shop vac...

Back