What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv 10 prop noise

Rv10docne

I'm New Here
When I pull the throttle on approach I have this noise on the belly of my RV 10.
Just assumed a pressure change. Anyone else notice this.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Mark, welcome to VAF.

Good to have you aboard:D

The noise you are hearing might be exhaust rather than prop, pretty common on some of the RVs.

Welcome Mark

The only unusual noise I can hear is when I go to full flaps- 33 deg. The air rushing through the slot. I use LS Zulu ANR's so many noises get really muffled. I would do a good check to make sure everything is tight/secure, ie cowling, exhaust, fairings. You can always mount a camera underneath, they are getting cheaper all the time. It is a good flying plane for sure.

Just as I pull the throttle it sounds like something hits the bottom of the fuselage

Do you hear it only momentarily as you reduce power, or does it persist continuously in a particular power range? And if momentary, does it happen only with a sudden power reduction, or also with a slow and gradual power reduction?

If it's only momentary and only with a sharp power reduction, this is where the engine/prop will experience a big change in torque and will move a little in the mounts. If your exhaust pipes aren't hung properly and securely with good clearance all around them, it may be possible that they're momentarily actually coming in contact with the bottom of the firewall / bottom fuse skin or cowling. That would be bad... Something to check.

The only thing I can think of is oil canning due to torque changes or like you mentioned pressure changes. If prop knob is forward and your coming down pretty fast the airflow can be driving the prop which applies opposite torque to airframe. Look for loose skins on bottom. You may be able to access it under seats or use some expanding foam. Let us know what you find out.

I'm betting Mike S got it right off the bat. When you pull the throttle, you'll get a popping sound that sounds like a soft hammer out of the exhaust... Unburned fuel igniting in the hot exhaust or something like that. Anyway, it's a common sound when you pull the throttle quickly. If you ease the throttle, you won't get the sound.

I did have mine do that when I leaned too much at altitude. I do pull power off 1-2" mp at a time, so have never heard it on landing. But yes, that hammering on the bottom would definitely get your attention.

Most likely an AFTER FIRE.........Not a back fire ;)

If you are still leaned from a LOP cruise, and you should be, when you pull back quickly you will easily get this.

Back