What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 plan preview?

Considering an RV-10 build and trying to understand why Vans offers preview plans for the other models but not the -10's. Are the plans that are sent with the kit electronic or hardcopy? Anyone have an electronic copy they would be willing to share so I can preview? I would prefer the empennage plans s this is where I would start, but any of them would let me see how things are explained/diagrammed, etc.

If it is frowned upon to share these plans, please forgive my newbie ignorance!

Considering an RV-10 build and trying to understand why Vans offers preview plans for the other models but not the -10's. Are the plans that are sent with the kit electronic or hardcopy? Anyone have an electronic copy they would be willing to share so I can preview? I would prefer the empennage plans s this is where I would start, but any of them would let me see how things are explained/diagrammed, etc.

If it is frowned upon to share these plans, please forgive my newbie ignorance!

Like most documentation, it's copyrighted.

There are electronic copies floating around, but are typically only shared with those that have purchased the rights via purchasing a kit and have a builder's number assigned.

I know that doesn't help you much.

You can go to Van's site and look at service bulletins if all you are looking for is style and level of detail information. The RV-10 plans are better documented and illustrated that the previous models.

The other option is to find a nearby RV-10 builder and pay them a visit.

Prior to the RV-10 the kit plans consisted of a set of "D" sized drawings and 8.5x11 sheets of paper with the instructions. The preview plans gave you part of the info and the revisions and details come with the kits. Starting with the RV-10 the plans are done completely differently. Newer plans style has 11x17 pages with drawings and detailed textual instructions integrated. Preview plans for the newer style (at least the RV-10) don't exist. All plans are paper as distributed by Vans.

Like Ed said, there are revision pages on Vans website if you're just trying to see what the plans look like in general. If you've got a specific question I'm sure the group can get you an answer pretty quickly!

Bob

Thank you for the feedback everyone. I simply wanted to see a "sample" of some plans to better understand how the instructions are presented, quality of diagrams, etc. The link provided from the myrv10 site is exactly what I was hoping to review.

Tim's low res plans are exactly what convinced me it was okay for me to take on the RV-10 project. Vans should do something similar.
Brian and brandy's site were another big inspiration.
If Vans ever gave a commission or referral bonus, these three should get one.

You shouldn't worry a bit. The plans are phenomenal with a very small error rate. A close friend is building a -7 and my -10 plans look like child's play in comparison. The side-by-side textual-diagrammatic information is awesome.

You'll enjoy it.

Yes, the plans are excellent.

So "step-by-step" that you risk using them that way instead of reading a whole section, digesting it, then doing it. Fortunately, either approach will work... almost.

Tim's low res plans are exactly what convinced me it was okay for me to take on the RV-10 project. Vans should do something similar.
Brian and brandy's site were another big inspiration.
If Vans ever gave a commission or referral bonus, these three should get one.

Would you mind calling Van please? :D

Back