What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Performance

Moura

Well Known Member
What kind of cruise speed should I actually look for on my RV10 on 75%? Do they fly as fast as stated on vans site (210 mph)?
Thank you
Moura

Yes....pretty much they do. Thats 182 knots in perfect conditions, and I can not say I have actually logged it, but near enough.

At a full load and Lean of Peak
4525920200a11706646784o.jpg

And a light load
4525920200a12599554682o.jpg

I have seen almost 180knots at one point so its quite feasible the Vans numbers are on the money.

Remember one thing, as I found out.....Statics Aint Statics. When we first flew our -10 I had a dynamic static problem, the static vents at speed were creating a higher pressure. The IAS & TAS was slower than it should have been and the altimetry was out by about 180 feet I think. Fixed that up and all seemed to make sense!:)

I raced my -10 earlier this year...

...running WOT and beat two -6's and an -8A. The Dynon showed a TAS between 210 and 214 MPH for the 45 minute duration at only 800' AGL.

At 7500', I routinely see 201 or better at 75%

Best,

Having built and flown 2 of them now, I will tell you that the real life everyday performance is much like the picture above from OZ. I routinely see 160-167 KTAS depending on load and altitude, so I file flight plans at 165 knots and it seems to work out fine. Yes, I did the 4 way GPS groud speed calibration to verify accuracy.
I haven't done what Piere has done---run it it flat out at low altitude to see what it will do, as that is not everyday performance. The ones that I have run next to, Tim O's, Gary Specketer's, have all asked me to slow down. :) I am running a Mattituck Red Gold with the MT 3 blade and Airflow Performance injection system.

Vic

Where do you get your numbers from??? I don't see Vans stating that the 10 will do 210 mph @ 75% power?????

What kind of cruise speed should I actually look for on my RV10 on 75%? Do they fly as fast as stated on vans site (210 mph)?
Thank you
Moura

We do

about 165 kts cruise in the 5 to 8K altitudes, but I am sure we could "flat out" do better, but, oh, that fuel burn.

I'm also running the Hartzell blended airfoil, two-blade.. prop...

...which is significantly faster than another friend's three-bladed Whirlwind, who's speed is closer to Vic's.

Best,

-10 performance

171kts true @ 7000', 2400 rpm, WOT and 48lph. Two beefy POB.

Standard engine and prop

- and I think I have a dynamic static problem giving me an underread as well

cheers,
Ron
VH-XRM
flying in Oz

RV10 perf

When I picked up my newly purchased RV10 in Ca last month, I climbed to 11.5k for a flight to Az and it trued out at 195-200 mph at WOT and 2400 rpm. I was impressed. At lower altitudes, the RV10 seems to be about the same speeds as my RV7a. But at the higher altitudes, the RV10 seems to be faster. We are leaving Friday morning to start our summer travels around the northern states so we will get a real chance to test out our new RV10.

171kts true @ 7000', 2400 rpm, WOT and 48lph.

John Deakin would be :eek:

rough guess is 30-40 ROP which is fine for a speed test at best power but I would not cruise there all day if you can help it.

DB:cool:

-10 performance

John Deakin would be :eek:

rough guess is 30-40 ROP which is fine for a speed test at best power but I would not cruise there all day if you can help it.

DB:cool:

had a dodgy eis probe at the time of this test and may not have been properly leaned. Will recheck next flight now the probe is serviceable.

cheers
Ron

I always run LOP.
Had to make an unexpected trip to CA Thursday.
I flight play for 150 KTAS and fly pretty close to that.
Here is what I got yesterday.
At 8500 I was burning about 10.4 gph
At 10500 I was burning about 9.6 to 10.0
At 12500 I was burning about 9.2 to 9.4

55-60LPH will probably be 180F ROP.

It all depends on the % power.

? At about 70%, 125?F ROP to 25?F LOP.
? At about 75%, 180?F ROP to 40?F LOP.
? At about 80%, 200?F ROP to 60?F LOP.

? At 75%, use richer than 180?F ROP, or leaner than 40?F LOP.
? At 80%, use richer than 200?F ROP, or leaner than 60?F LOP.

Anyone have a % power chart for the IO-540?

I admit it, I don't get the kinds of speeds being talked about here in my RV-10.

It is a new Mattituck Red/Gold with one Lightspeed ignition and one magneto.

It has a Hartzell blended airfoil prop.

I don't have the wheelpants on it right now (different story).

I typically fly it at 8500 feet, at 2300rpms and 22" MAP with it leaned to 50 LOP. I am burning around 11gph. Not sure what percent of power that is.

I get an indicated airspeed around 125 kts. Very, very roughly this works out to a true airspeed of 160mph.

I suspect that I will get about 10mph more when I get the wheel pants on it. I just can't see how I would ever be able to get 201mph out of it.

My questions for the guys that are going significantly faster are what throttle and prop settings are you using?, how many gph are you burning? and what are you estimating your % power at?

Thanks!

bruce

Hi Bruce....

...I run 23" and 2400 RPM to get 201-202 MPH, all wheelpants and leg fairings on.

On our -6A, we picked up 16 MPH after we added fairings and wheelpants, plus another 150 FPM or more to the climb performance. My bet is that you should see at least 16 MPH since your tires are larger/more drag than the -6A.

I don't like running LOP, so at those power settings, I burn 15 GPH. I have run LOP but you also lose 5 or 6 MPH.

Best,

Even with my big cowl on there I could see 200 MPH TAS at 11,000 burning a little more than 12.2 GPH.

A good indication of what a 10 can do flat out: - Last year at a local race here in South Africa we had two 10's (standard engine and prop as per Vans) out of a hundred AC. The race was over two days and the total distance about 650 nautical miles. One averaged 181.1 and the second 181.6 kts over the distance. Average race altitude was about 4000ft AMSL.

Fuel burn - I do not really want to know:eek:

Out of interest - in the same race we have achieved 7th place overal, in an RV7A and our Race number was #7. Speed achieved 171.67 kts. So there is something with the number 7!

Easy to believe..

. One averaged 181.1 and the second 181.6 kts over the distance. Average race altitude was about 4000ft AMSL.

Fuel burn - I do not really want to know:eek:

....build 'em nice and straight with well aligned landing gear fairings and wheelpants and equip them with the two-bladed Hartzell blended airfoil prop and it will indeed match or exceed Van's numbers.

BTW, I found a few extra MPH during the Race-to-Ridgeland earlier this year and it was less than 2700 revs...try a little less RPM in your next race, Jan,

My fuel burn was around 24 GPH but I leaned it according to CHT's as well as EGT's,

Best,

Back