What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rv-10 overheat vent

Lan Vinh Do

Well Known Member
Hi
I bought a rv-10 already build. Everything is almost perfect but i am in the fine tuning.

One of the problem is the small flow of air in the cabin. The vent are small and is the type with a cone in the middle ( like comercial aircraft) There is probably a big restriction. There is also a screen in both naca in the front. I will remove the screen and put some vent with bigger opening in the panel.

I am more concern for my passenger. ( wife an kids ) that will probably complain of heat. The vent on the side have been eliminated by the builder and replace by a 2 inch air intake in the tail fairing. The air coming from the overhead console is deceiving. really low flow at crusing speed. The tubing is a 2 inch scat that is divides in 2 smaller tube( one for the 2 front overhead vent, and 2 for the rear overhead vent)
I will change these vent for some bigger one too.
DOES ANY ONE HAVE USE A IN LINE BLOWER TO HAVE MORE AIRFLOW ON THE GROUND OR IN THE AIR FOR THE OVERHEAD CONSOLE. IF YES, WHAT TYPE??, MARINE TYPE??, ANY PICTURE OF THE INSTALLATION.
any other idea to have passenger more confortable?
I made a trip this last week and with 26deg C outside temp on the ground, it was really warm in the aircraft. not unconfortable but warm.

there is some picture in the albun where you can see the type of vent ( the builder gave me a cd with picture of the construction)

https://picasaweb.google.com/lanvinhdo/OverheadVent?authkey=Gv1sRgCP-ryquR2PyYgAE&feat=directlink

Thank You

Lan Vinh Do

RV-10,
c-gmce

NACA Scoops...

One thing you could do is replace what looks like an original Accuracy Avionics emp fairing with the round dorsal air intake with NACA vents on the tailcone sides. I'm not flying yet, but the reports from folks that are that went the NACA route is you'll get more than enough air, even on the ground. So much so that you might be able to get by with only one NACA scoop, although most install 2 (IMO more for symmetry than a real need for air flow). The good news is you won't need a blower, you won't need to replace the vents, and you won't need to replace the SCAT. YMMV...

Plus what Mike posted....

I'm surprized that the intake vent on the vertical isn't yeilding much pressure. Have you checked to see if it's blocked or restricted?

The naca vents produce so much air, that most people are using one of Geoff's (Aerosport Products) vent's to control air flow because it's too much air.

bob

overhead installation

For those who have overhead console, is the scat tobe connect at the back of the console and pressurize all the console or you have some tubing that go to each vent??
The one on my rv-10 have 2inch scat tube, that connect to 2 smaller tube before it go to the back of the console and after smaller tube to the vent.
I don'T know if it woulb be better if i just connect the back of the console and let the rest open ( the vent not connect, just getting the positive pressure)

If it don't work, i would probably go with a naca on one side ( i already have a small door on the left side for o2 refill)

for the factory vent. The builder had the inside finish that cover this area. If i don't have to go there, i will try to avoid but i agree, i try another rv-10 before as a pilot and passenger. They are simple and effective.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lanvinhdo/OverheadVent?authkey=Gv1sRgCP-ryquR2PyYgAE&feat=directlink

lan vinh do

rv-10c-gmce

The overhead console is pressurized by the scat tubing connected to a flange mounted on the baggage bulkhead. This eliminates the need to run scat to each vent. Not to mention that there really isn't room for that. The downside is that you really need to ensure that everything in your overhead is sealed, otherwise it will get chilly in the winter.

If you got the Aerosport Products and look at the NACA Vent Valve photos, you'll get a better idea on how others are doing things.

Edit: There isn't a good photo on that link. I guess I'll need to speak to the web editor. There are some other photos in the Photo Gallery. http://aerosportproducts.com/photo_gallery.htm.

Here is how I did the transition in my RV-10

FP16112010A000QC.jpg

bob

Last edited:
I have spoken to several RV-10 pilots who have a ram-air vent built into their empenage fairing and I've yet to find a happy one. Everyone says the airflow is pretty poor the weight required to get sub-par air is pretty disheartening too.

Phil

I am surprised to hear that you don't have much airflow from the front vents. Mine have a huge amount of airflow, even on the ground. I have the upgraded vents from Van's and also have a screen installed in mine. Maybe you can get improvement in the front from different vents. I have these
installed with a piece of screen installed on the forward end.
Van's back seat vents look pretty "homemade", but they work quite well. Looks like that would be quite a bit of work for you at this point.

There's a remedy for that........

The rear vents can be made to look rather presentable.

Very nice, Bob!! Abby, at Flightine Interiors does a pretty nice job of dressing it up, and that is what I have on my airplane. However, yours really looks great.

Very nice, Bob!! Abby, at Flightine Interiors does a pretty nice job of dressing it up, and that is what I have on my airplane. However, yours really looks great.

Actually, that is a shot of Geoff Combs RV-10, but anyone can do them same by getting the interior panels from Aerosport Products. There is no reason why everyone can't have a nice interior anymore. The panels are pretty easy to install.

My interior is gray tones. Hopefully, I'll have some photos around OSH time frame.

To answer to David Maib i had these vent in my rv-7a that i sold. These vent were perfect. A lot of air even with the bubble. They are 2 3/4 inch. I add a picture of the vent in my rv-10 panel. It'S the same that i have in my overhead vent. They are small and i think that there is a lot of resistance in the design. The opening in the panel is just 1.8 inch. I will try to change all the vent for some aveoair or other of similar design.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Q4sNRR-N0ZPqAzPwgZ17homfQBIHHaFWLpThXtub6zk?feat=directlink

Thank you every one for all there input. It's really helpfull.

Lan Vinh Do

Back