What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 oil temps

KiloWhiskey1

Well Known Member
I'm trying to help a friend sort out a high oil temp problem on his newly flown RV-10. He has flown the phase 1 time and is now running Phillips 20/50. The cowl exit has been trimmed back, which helped the temps some. However, he is still seeing 225 degrees in climb.

What have others done to successfully address this issue?

Cowl flap? Larger or different oil cooler? Cold cooling air directed on the oil cooler?

Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Keith

I'm trying to help a friend sort out a high oil temp problem on his newly flown RV-10. He has flown the phase 1 time and is now running Phillips 20/50. The cowl exit has been trimmed back, which helped the temps some. However, he is still seeing 225 degrees in climb.

What have others done to successfully address this issue?

Cowl flap? Larger or different oil cooler? Cold cooling air directed on the oil cooler?

Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Keith

Before you start making major changes, make sure that you have maximized the stock setup. Like most, my -10 will climb out at 190* +/- 5* on a 90* OAT day, with CHTs <400*. On hot days I climb at 115K.

Verify the temp probe first, to make sure you are not chasing ghosts. Make certain all baffles have optimum fit(see post by DanH and others for tips), remove the casting flash between cooling fins on cyl. 1 and 2. Caulk the gaps between the rear baffle and the engine mount, the gap between forward face of cyl.2 and that baffle, as well as any other small air leaks. Seal any gaps around the oil cooler mount.

The vast majority of -10s are flying with a standard setup, and not overheating. Don't be too quick to start changing things.

Jim Berry
RV-10

It is a pretty easy mod to the mount bracket to accept the 07 sized oil cooler instead of the stock 06. You can also mount shark gills in the cowl next to the cooler.
Since I live in the PHX area, I did both during construction and have never gone above the middle of the green.

Airflow performance has the larger coolers and the shark gills.

Last edited:
Piston squirters?

my engine that has piston oil squirters and that makes the oil rin hotter than most folks. My cht's rairly get to 400 but my oil can get up to 225 on climb out, especially if it is done with an already hot engine.

I do have a tight seal to cowl and have the larger airflow oil cooler. I have even tried a atv radiator fan on the oil cooler, but it didn't help. Now I just step climb to keep oil temp at 225. I too am open to suggestions.

Gary

Keith, ensure that the vertical sides of the cooler are sealed to the sides of the firewall wedge. Some coolers can leave a 1/4 gap on each side.

What is his climb airspeed? I use 115-125 kts on hot days. I also installed a cover over enlarged nose gear leg slot in bottom cowling. Good info above.

Thanks to everyone for the good info and tips. I'm making a list of things to look at in the current install and also a list of next steps if things don't improve.

The owner says he climbs at around 110kts, but I'll suggest 115-120.

The FWF has a non-standard baffling setup that is designed to fit around an air conditioning compressor. The airflow from the inlets hits the compressor on the right and there are no inlet ramps on the left. I assume this setup is causing some of the problems. If anyone with the flightline AC installed has any suggestions, please fire away.

Thanks again!

Keith

Back