What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 oil temperature

glenbran

I'm New Here
In test flying our RV-10 we have observed a higher-than-desired oil temperature even in cruise conditions. We have a three-blade constant-speed prop on the bird, and to facilitate lower cowl removal opened the nose gear slot about 6 inches further forward. Closing this slot with (temporary) 200mph tape immediately lowered oil temps by 40 degrees, and also had a noticeable drop in cyl. head temps. We are now fabricating a permanent closing strip. Glen Brandvold - N660RV

Interesting finding

This is an interesting result, because it suggests that the pressure on the exterior in that part of the cowl is fairly high, possibly even flowing into the lower plenum of the cowl, reducing cooling flow, rather than a low pressure area that would presumably help suck more cooling flow down through from the top.

Alert: Vans 20006A oil cooler installation

This is relevant to RV-10's that use the Vans firewall oil cooler mount and Vans supplied Niagra oil cooler 20006A.

I found that when I installed the cooler, there are a series of small leak paths out the side of the cooler that reduce flow through the cooler some. I have this cooler on my RV-8 with an IO-360-A1A engine. I have OK cooling, but on really hot days, the oil still gets up to 225F -- 230F.

So, looking at the cooler, you can see that along the edge of each of the oil passages, there is a small "u" shaped strip of metal that faces into the flow, creating a small channel that carries flow to the side edges. At the sides of the cooler, when it is mounted on a flat panel or bracket, these little flow passages are open. It is a very small area, but it is flow that does not flow through the cooler. So these passages should be sealed with high-temp RTV or some other method of sealing. I just did mine, I'll report back as soon as I fly if I can tell the difference in oil temps. I'll see if I can get a picture too.

I started out with a small cutout and as I enlarged it to make lower cowl removal easier my oil temps also increased. I just made a fg piece and attached with velcro on inside of lower cowl. It will give if the nose gear fairing hits it on a hard landing which I don't plan on doing. The higher aoa/slower climb the more air goes into that slot.

Yep, I sealed around oil cooler with high temp red rtv. Had to remove cooler to reseal fittings. Just cut sealant on one side and it was not necessary to reseal upon reinstallation as it stuck tp cooler very well.

Back