What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Oil Filter Location: Remote or Engine Mount?

David Clifford

Well Known Member
I am just finishing up on the reassembly of my IO-540 V4A5 engine. It came with an Air Wolf remote filter adapter on the assessory housing, but I am leaning towards the standard or "no spill" engine mounted filter location. I am not that far into the build yet and do not know what Vans calls for. I have three reasons I would like to keep it on the engine based on experiance with the Cozy MKIV I built:

1. Even with the remote mount, Its still a mess removing the filter
2. Weight and space savings (hoses weigh alot & take up space)
3. K.I.S. Less fittings to possibly leak, ect.

Or do I need a remote set-up to run lines to the oil cooler? I want to make the decision now before I finish the engine assembly and pickle the engine in oil. Thanks for any suggestions or comments in advance.

Dave

Oil filter location

I am just finishing up on the reassembly of my IO-540 V4A5 engine. It came with an Air Wolf remote filter adapter on the assessory housing, but I am leaning towards the standard or "no spill" engine mounted filter location. I am not that far into the build yet and do not know what Vans calls for. I have three reasons I would like to keep it on the engine based on experiance with the Cozy MKIV I built:

1. Even with the remote mount, Its still a mess removing the filter
2. Weight and space savings (hoses weigh alot & take up space)
3. K.I.S. Less fittings to possibly leak, ect.

Or do I need a remote set-up to run lines to the oil cooler? I want to make the decision now before I finish the engine assembly and pickle the engine in oil. Thanks for any suggestions or comments in advance.

Dave

You can do stock location on the engine with an adaptor to orient the filter either at 45 or 90 from the Lycoming adaptor. There also are K&N filters that are much smaller than standard Champion if there are any fit issues.
I agree with your points.
If you can allow oil to drain overnight, even the stock Lyc filter arrangement will drain all but about 1 tablespoon that you can catch with rags or Pamper under the filter.

Back