What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Maneuvering Speed?

Maneuvering speed is based on stalling speed. Van's airplanes have very nice, slow stalling speeds, which is nice, but you do have to remember to slow down in the bumps.

Vic

I thought maneuvering speed was based on weight. It goes up as weight goes up and down when weight goes down. The question should be more specific what is maneuvering speed at gross weight or single person full fuel?

Here's a slightly shorter explanation:

Maneuvering speed is equal to the stall speed at the positive load limit factor. Stall speed goes up with weight, therefor so does maneuvering speed. Stall speed increased with the square root of the load factor (G load.)

As a quick illustration- say you had an airframe which was designed to withstand 4Gs positive and had a Vs1 stall speed of 50 kts. Va would be 100 kts (square root of 4 times 50.)

I always think of it like a boat. A heavy boat cuts through the waves easier. A lighter boat gets tossed in the waves.

22.335(c) (for certified aircraft)
Design maneuvering speed Va may not be less than Vs sqrt(n)
where
Vs = stall speed clean
n = limit load factor

Vans lists the stall speed as 63 mph at max gross (57 at 2200 lbs) on their web page but does not say the configuration. I assume the design load is 3.8g and the stall speed given is for clean config, then that gives a calculated minimum Va of 122.8 mph at 2700 lbs and 111.1 mph at 2200 lbs.

These numbers are lower than what an earlier poster had for the 'official' value so maybe they design for a higher load limit factor. But even at 4.4 g I still only get 132 mph.

Back