What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 main power cable

ddnebert

Well Known Member
I have scoped out most of the other wires and ordered them this week, but I was wondering what gauge wire -10ers are using from the battery to solenoids to starter? Also, what routing does it take through the firewall?

Doug.

I would suggest using 35mmSq SDI.

this is about AWG2 I think. SDI means Single Core Double Insulated.

The Flex you buy for say welding applications is fine but its only ever 1 layer of insulation. make sure it is a high strand flex at least.

We routed it down the RHS of the plane and through the firewall on the rhs.

Cheers!

DB:cool:

#2 AWG cable. Many, myself included, use #2 welding wire. Home Depot sells a 50ft length for $68. You will only need about 20 ft but you can't beat this price. Make sure you use an anti oxidant paste on the connectors when you crimp the ends since it is not "tinned." It is pure copper.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...3&productId=100341115&N=10000003+90401+503465

3174892a-82dd-444a-acda-74e49a724a40_400.jpg

For Bulkhead pass-thru, you can use a snap bushing or a Blue Sea terminal feed thru connector #2202.

http://nerv10.com/wcurtis/90Electrical/EL1h.html

256308_B_S_2201_WPM.jpg

I just ordered the wires from Vans, ready made to the correct size, with ends already on them. There was a problem a year or so ago with ends not being crimped correctly, so if you go this way, check them-----probably no longer an issue, but it pays to make sure.

The wires run down the left side of the cockpit, and through the firewall on the far left side, just below where the starter solenoid/contactor mounts.

I mounted the contactor first, gave me a good idea where the FW needed to be breached.

Snap bushings used wherever needed, and some flexible conduit from HD/Lowes run under the rear floorboards----I would suggest you add an extra run of conduit or two, for later add ons.

Vans cable?

You mention ordering wire from Vans. Their web catalog is problematic in finding what I want - what was it called? I tried things like "battery cable" with no results.

I just clicked on their catalog , then under electrical , then scrole down and the #2 wire came up in various lengths.
Ron

If you find a good industrial electrical cable supplier you can buy about 40 feet of it (spare for extra batteries and solenoids etc, of the SDI I mentioned above.

It is all pre-tinned and solves your problem. I think I paid around USD$1.80 per foot. Not very expensive and you can probably buy it cheaper over there!

DB:cool:

You mention ordering wire from Vans. Their web catalog is problematic in finding what I want - what was it called? I tried things like "battery cable" with no results.

I did it the old fashioned way, I used the phone, called them.

I ran red #2 welding cable from Arizona Solar Supply

and came through the firewall with a 3/4" fireproof firewall penetration from Plane Innovations (an advertiser on this site). Seems to work good. I'll have two 1" fireproof penetrations to handle the rest of the wiring going through the firewall.
Here it is:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1013/007llc.jpg

Back