What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Main Gear Dimension Required

hmanvel

I'm New Here
Hi folks,
I am the builder/flyer of a Rutan Defiant. I am in the process of changing my wheel pants over to the Sam James units for the RV-10, 600 x 6 wheels. I wonder if one of the RV10 builders who might have access to an uncovered main gear could do me a big favor. I am looking for the maximum width dimension, from the tip of the axle to the inboard-most item, I assume it would be the bolt that mounts the axle. I believe the Defiant gear leg is alot thicker than the RV10, so the stackup is wider. Just want to confirm that. Sure would appreciate the help!
Harry Manvel
Defiant N2HM
PTK / Pontiac, MI

Actually after looking at mine, it would be from the inboard mounting bolt to the outer edge of the tire. The axle ends before the wheel/tire. Thanks!

The inboard brake caliper mounting bolt to the outer wall of the tire is right at 9 1/2 inches.

The inner wheel pant mounting bracket is a good inch more inboard than the caliper mounting bolt, and in a stock Vans setup, there is a spacer on the axle nut that adds almost 3 more inches of width.

The axle is not bolted on to the leg, it is a continuation of the leg, that is bent horizontal------thus a bit hard to give you the dimension you asked for--"I am looking for the maximum width dimension, from the tip of the axle to the inboard-most item, I assume it would be the bolt that mounts the axle."

The stock Vans wheel pant is close to, if not over a foot in width, but I have no idea what width a James unit is.

Hope this helps---------and welcome to VAF.

Thanks alot Mike. I measured mine and using the same endpoints it is 11 1/2" so this explains why the James wheelpant isnt quite wide enough. I guess I will have to build a fairing over the inside which I really didnt want to do. Happy New Year! HM

Back