What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv-10 locking gas cap

Tom,

Are you worried about theft or sabotage?

Locking caps won't stop theft as you still have the quick drains.

Sabotage, well, that's another story and I could make a comment about your reason to worry but I won't. :D

vans sells some, but you have to build your tank with them in mind as the flange is different than the standard one

Retrofit

Can you please shortly elaborate how the installation works if you have the original ones installed?

Best
Michael

wellenzohn.net

Last edited:
Before you buy these, I highly recommend you read this thread first.

It sounds like there is a "neck" that is pro-sealed inside the exisiting neck. Once installed, you will not be able to remove them.

I have the locking caps from Van's and I am very happy with them. I have yet to run in to nozzles that will not fit, but I know they are out there. I, too, have seen fuel leak out of the key slot if the tanks are filled right up to the brim. Spare key's are an obvious "must".

I had mine engraved by Bill's Custom Engraving (VAF advertiser) and they look fantastic.

Cross country flying is the reason we built this airplane, so I feel more comfortable with locking caps when the airplane is parked at an airport away from home.

If you are fitting from new then consider the VANS high quality locking caps. They cannot be retrofitted though. I am just building my tanks and the caps are beautifully made - no bending the flanges, they are machined to the right curvature :D Solves any issues with non-fitting nozzles as well.

I have fitted the ones discussed by David (two posts up) on my 7 - no problems so far and I have now also fitted these on my 10 in progress. :)

Back