What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Landing Lights

TheLutz

I'm New Here
My first time on the site. I have been working on the project for a couple of years and have been reading the threads on the site but have never posted. I just finished assembling the landing lights in my RV10 last night and I am a little concerned about the functionality of them. It seems as though a lot of light is going to splash back ino the wingtip. Would there be any benifit to installing a shroud or tube around the light? Sort of like what you see on home flood lights? I talked to the folks at Vans and he seems to think it may cause a heat issue.

Yes, the standard Van's wingtip lighting will cause shadows due to light being blocked by the wingtip. This is why the Duckworth product is so popular.

The question has now become, how bright is bright enough. You can get 35w and 50w hids from Duckworth, or the leds from Aeroleds. Different price points and brightnesses. This appears to be a rather personal decision. Some can't get enough light, others can get by with minimal lighting. Like with most things, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Leading edge lights

I installed the wingtip lights and then tested them on sawhorses in the driveway. I had also installed a strobe and position light on the inner (other) wall of the wingtip cutout, inside the plexi enclosure. I'm also concerned that this setup will not project light directly forward but can't be sure until I mount the wings on the fuselage (still under SB construction). I'm contemplating treating the wingtip lights as taxi lights and then installing one bright landing light in one leading edge.

Does anybody know the relative brightness of the halogen solutions as compared to the xenon ones? Also, the round lights seem to act more light spotlights when I'd rather have a good fan of coverage. What's best here?

Duckworks seems to have the main products, though I also see CreativeAir has some add-on solutions.

http://www.duckworksav.com/LELightKits.html
http://www.creativair.com/landing-lights-kits-c-21.html

Try Lopresti's HID lights!! They have a kit that fits right in the original spot for the RV10. I have them and they are great!! No shadows and 1,000000 lumins. You can run them full time for collision avoidance. 5000 hr bulbs and pull almost no juice.
Jim

lopresti HID landing lights

Jim do these Lopresti lights give good light out in front of the nose? I am getting ready to order lights and would like to put them were you have yours.

Thanks
Geoff

Back