What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Kit quality

Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
I started building my 10QB in mid June this year. I have previously built two 8QB's. I must say the 10 kit is outstanding. The 8 kit was great however the 10 is significantly improved. I have the fuselage, empenage and tail complete and the engine mounted. I am about to start the fiberglass cover.

One improvement I would like to see is more than one longeron connecting the tail cone to the fuselage and a frame riveted to the skin however Vans does a good job designing these planes. I am planning a 10 month build and it looks like I am on schedule,outstanding kit.

If you are looking at overhead consoles for the 10 here is another idea. For 30to 50 dollars you can purchase an automotive overhead console on e-bay. There are hundreds available with all the lights and storage you need. A little paint, glass and filler will make it look like it was part of the kit.

Pat

RV8
RV8A
RV10
J3CUB

Ditto

As a first time builder working on a -10, I can echo your sentiment about quality, albeit with less experience/credibility behind it. The plans are excellent, with very few criticisms (I'm an engineer, what can I say). Almost always when I run into a question, if I study them I can figure it out. I've only had to call Van's twice in several months for help.

As for the overhead console, there are a ton of them on ebay. I'd be interested if those who've gone before have any experience with which ones are best for the RV-10 - brand and model - in regard to fit in the canopy and function and wiring. And of course, quality. I will definitely be looking into this option as I progress.

Last edited:
Back