What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rv-10 insurance high?

aeronca

hi, i paid 3,300 for my rv-10 insurance through falcon last year the airplane was new so i expected a reduction in this years premium, not such luck even though i have 130 hours in type 500tt and no incidents, private only no ifr under 40 years old. 125k hull coverage. does anybody have a better rate at which they are insured? if so where and who? What gives with these rv-10s? they are pusseycats with training wheels up front seems like a low risk plane to me i wonder if they charge us these high rates because they think the demographic can afford it.(lets face it, these things aint cheap)I might have to sell mine if i cant do better than 3,300 a year.

Get your IFR rating and you should see a drop in your premium. You may want to ask your agent up front so that you can determine if the investment is worth it.

Get your IFR rating and you should see a drop in your premium. You may want to ask your agent up front so that you can determine if the investment is worth it.

Bob:
My buddy that finished his RV7A up in my hangar added me to his insurance. He figured the premium would go up, but it stayed the same. I have 900 tt, he had 400+/- and IR. When he ask them why it remained the same they told him I had more hrs. He asked about his IR, they said it didn't matter, I had more tt than he did. I think, if my memory is correct, that was AIG.

Marshall Alexander

Bob:
My buddy that finished his RV7A up in my hangar added me to his insurance. He figured the premium would go up, but it stayed the same. I have 900 tt, he had 400+/- and IR. When he ask them why it remained the same they told him I had more hrs. He asked about his IR, they said it didn't matter, I had more tt than he did. I think, if my memory is correct, that was AIG.

Marshall Alexander

On the two place aircraft, it doesn't seem to matter. However, I know several folks that saved $500-1000 on the RV-10. On the four seat aircraft the underwriters seem to prefer an IFR rating.

There are many discussions on the RV-10 Matronics list concerning this subject.

bob

On the two place aircraft, it doesn't seem to matter. However, I know several folks that saved $500-1000 on the RV-10. On the four seat aircraft the underwriters seem to prefer an IFR rating.

bob

AOPA (AIG?) dropped mine by $300 for the IFR in the 7a

Frank

I was just quoted $2248.00 for $140,000 hull value $500 in motion and $200 not in motion. I have about 1,100 hours and an instument ticket but no RV time.

RG

bob

Ahh...I didn't think about the 4 pl. A neighbor friend of mine took out the rear 2 seats of his Commanche so he could insure it as a 4 place for that very reason.

Marshall Alexander

Back