What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 inner Door halves different

Aiki_Aviator

Well Known Member
I am currently putting the door handles and closure pins into the doors and have noticed that the sections constructed for the handles are different left side to right side.

They are in different positions relative to the bottom and front door channels.

Did anyone else have this issue? I am concerned I have an old door mold and a new door mold. I have an issue with one of the doors not quite mating correctly, not major, however, maybe this is because of differing halves.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I am currently putting the door handles and closure pins into the doors and have noticed that the sections constructed for the handles are different left side to right side.

They are in different positions relative to the bottom and front door channels.

Did anyone else have this issue? I am concerned I have an old door mold and a new door mold. I have an issue with one of the doors not quite mating correctly, not major, however, maybe this is because of differing halves.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Andrew,

Pictures illustrating the issue would certainly help us understand better.

If your doors don't fit exactly right, welcome to the club of the RV-10 builders. I don't think any of them fit perfectly. As far as there being two molds it's possible. Geoff Combs has been able to determine that there are two different molds for the pink cabin covers that have been used in production. The same could be true for the doors, but I don't think that is the cause of your problem.

The are a few things that come to mind that could be causing your fit issues.

When you mated the two halves and epoxied them together, was there appropriate weights to adhere to the contour of the cabin cover while the epoxied set?

When you start trimming the doors, if you let the doors slip a bit, then the contour of the curve of the door will be off from the cabin cover. (I had one door like this due to a build partner providing inaccurate information. I quickly learned after this to personally validate measurements when it comes to major cuts)

The last area that seems to be prevalent is that for some reason Vans sands a flat spot on each side of the rear door frame. Speculation is that is to get the cabin cover to fit in a smaller crate. I can't imagine the would make the cabin cover mold like the intentionally.

To fix the combination of the second issue with the last one, I had to apply many layers of fiberglass to build up the door frames to match the contour of the doors. To be honest I was pretty intimidated about this step, but it turned out to be pretty easy.

Just apply some clear packing tape around the door edges and latch the door. You now have a guide to apply the fiberglass to the cabin cover. Using thin strips of glass, apply them to the door frm until you get a contour that is close to that of the door frame. You may have to use a technique that is highlighted for glossing int the front window. Since it is a curve, you may need to start with smaller length strips and build to longer strips to get the correct radius of the curve.

If I've totally missed the mark with my assumptions, post some photos to give us a better idea of your precise issue.

Bob

Bob, mine fit perfect. You guys believe that don't you? Once you are all finished, nobody is going to measure to see if both sides are exactly the same. I can believe what you are telling us. Try to make them strong and fit the cabin opening well. Install Sean's safety latch and a handle or strap doubler plate in the rear lower door section for holding doors during taxi.

Handle sections

Thanks Bob, yep, I appreciate that the doors are a pain.... that, I guess, I have accepted. Sorry, I don't have pictures posted as yet.

The issue that bothers me is that I have come to the section that asks to drill the hole through the door and complete the door mechanism for the placement of the handle.

The indentation in the inner door half is in a different place on the right one as compared to the left. As such the placement of the hole, if I followed the instructions to the letter, would noe be the same on both doors and would be off by up to 3/8" vertically and approx the same horizontally due to the different placement of the indentation.

This suggests that there are two different half molds. I can get them within "1/8" vertical and correct horizontally. Only issue is that the handle mounting mechinism is located in a different position within the indentation.

I would have to create a plate to cover that is hiding the "inconsistancy"...

Did you find any differences between the left and right inner door halves?? Did anyone else??

Andrew

I have just done the doors on a 10. I'm in the Western burbs as well. If you need any help or just want to compare your doors to the ones I have done give me a call or email. I'm in Hoppers Crossing.
phone 0417455244
Mick Haynes
RV7A ZWR

Comparison

Hi Mick,

I will call you in the morning. I would love to compare and make sure that the ones I have are consistent with yours. Thanks.

Andrew.

Andrew

I have just done the doors on a 10. I'm in the Western burbs as well. If you need any help or just want to compare your doors to the ones I have done give me a call or email. I'm in Hoppers Crossing.
phone 0417455244
Mick Haynes
RV7A ZWR

I did not notice any diference. However Vans does change fiberglass vendors and/or molds from time to time. I did manage to get a hybrid kit - some parts for the original fuel valve design, some parts for the new design, change around early 2008.

If not too late ignore the directions for cutting the rack. Instead cut it in half to make the two pieces as long as possible, to make the throw and subsquent pin engagement as long as possible.

Thanks Bob, yep, I appreciate that the doors are a pain.... that, I guess, I have accepted. Sorry, I don't have pictures posted as yet.

The issue that bothers me is that I have come to the section that asks to drill the hole through the door and complete the door mechanism for the placement of the handle.

The indentation in the inner door half is in a different place on the right one as compared to the left. As such the placement of the hole, if I followed the instructions to the letter, would noe be the same on both doors and would be off by up to 3/8" vertically and approx the same horizontally due to the different placement of the indentation.

This suggests that there are two different half molds. I can get them within "1/8" vertical and correct horizontally. Only issue is that the handle mounting mechinism is located in a different position within the indentation.

I would have to create a plate to cover that is hiding the "inconsistancy"...

Did you find any differences between the left and right inner door halves?? Did anyone else??

I don't recall any differences. As Bob and Wayne stated, get Sean's safety latch and cut the rack in half. The door latch is pretty straight forward. Don't worry about the indentation. Sounds like you have the situation under control.

Get the door handle covers from Aerosport Products.

Bob

Back