What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 HS front spar

jhearnsberger

I drilled both HS-1013 Spar Caps into the FLANGE of the front spar using a #30 rather than a 3/32.

Should I order an extra package of larger flush rivets, a new front spar & spar caps, or a whole new empennage?

A new spar will not cost a lot but the shipping will kill you. I really screwed up mine the first time and it came to close to $300 just because of the shipping. The alternative is living with the slightly larger rivets along the spar cap or using the 'oops' rivets. I don't think I'd recommend the latter approach here; you have too many rivets in one area that would be compromised. Using AD4 rivets will not be that noticeable, especially under paint, so I would choose that, were it me. Structurally, I don't think the AD4s will be a problem.

Jake,
I'll second Patrick's advice. The easiest way is probably the 1st option you listed--go with AN426 4-4s. Just remember that you'll need to match drill and dimple the skin with a #30.

So, I will need at least an additional 130 AN426AD4-4 rivets. I wonder if avery carries those. I receive UPS packages from them within just a couple of days.

Jake,
I don't think the tool vendors typically sell hardware. For that you'll probably need to go to Vans, ACS, Wicks, GAHco, etc.

Does the kit come with more than enough rivets or do they usually only give you just enough to complete the project?

Yes and no! Although I have yet to run out, on some sizes Van's sends just enough. On the common sizes, there usually lots left over because they sell/package by weight (as do most vendors), not by quantity (in most cases).

Worst case is you go with what you have on hand and if you run out you're only sidelined a week or less to get a little bag mailed to you. With any luck you'll have enough.

If you have any purchases from Van's or ACS that you've been putting off, you could go ahead and combine the orders to save on shipping. I try to do that as much as possible.

Last edited:
Yes and no! Although I have yet to run out, on some sizes Van's sends just enough. On the common sizes, there usually lots left over because they sell/package by weight (as do most vendors), not by quantity (in most cases).

I found that the rivets Van's recommends for attaching the bottom two pairs of rudder hinges are just not long enough. (Note: check this _before_ driving them -- I had to drill mine out, which sucks.) Not only that, but the rivets they advise using for the bottom pair are the longest ones which come with the tail kit.

So I ordered some longer rivets from Aircraft Spruce. While I was at it I ordered a large variety of different types of 1" long rivets -- that way I can make any rivet length I need with a rivet cutter.

Chris

Should I order an extra package of larger flush rivets said:
Jake,
Your question has already been answered, but I thought I'd throw this in - if anybody ever points it out, just say "Didn't you get the Service Bulletin?"

John

Back