What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 fuel vent icing?

Dan Maloney

I'm New Here
I just did the first flight on a friend's RV-10. As an RV-4 guy I was very impressed with the pleasant RV feel of the machine, despite it's much bigger size and weight. (I am an RV-10 wannabe, airline paycuts holding me back for now) I frequently fly my 4 IFR, and have tested it in light icing over a warm ice free airport to be sure no suprises await me if I get into ice. It seems the fuel vents on the 4 are in a channel on the bottom behind the engine cooling eflux and not in the direct face of the incoming cold air. The 10's fuel vents are on the bottom of the tank facing right into the oncoming cold flow. The Cherokee Six is the same. Has anybody picked up ice in the 10? I imagine a lot of them are flown IFR and if you are up north in the winter it's only a matter of time till some ice experience occurs. I'd hate to have an engine failure from just a little bit of ice. Anybody have experience or thoughts on this issue?

Yes I do

I fly the RV 7a in IMC and occasionally pick up ice.

I too wonder why the fuel vents are not further in board to be in the warm air from the cowl exit.

I never did get a good answer but this is where i think they should be.

Frank

I fly the RV 7a in IMC and occasionally pick up ice.

I too wonder why the fuel vents are not further in board to be in the warm air from the cowl exit.

I never did get a good answer but this is where i think they should be.

My guess is .....

Overflowing fuel, and exhaust pipes???

L.Adamson

Precautionary fix for vent icing

I have posted this before. I can't answer the question on why the vents are where they are, but I have implemented a precautionary fix for inadvertent flight into icing. Yes, I have actually tested it, not on purpose of course. :)
Basically, I just t'eed a check valve into one of the vent lines in the cockpit, and I make sure I am on that tank when in icing conditions, and then I make sure the ice is gone before I switch back. This also should work in case of any vent obstruction.
Here is the check valve I used:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/acscheckvalve.php
Vic

Thats a good idea

as long as its a spring loaded check then yes this should work well..

Frank

Back