What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 fresh air

kevin O

Well Known Member
Have done some searching w/o result. Live in the northeast and did not think ac was necessary. I agree with the posts re lots of air from vents while flying. Problem is on the ground. The 10 gets warm inside pretty quick. And its not the tunnel...I disconnect the heat in the summer and tunnel stays fairly cool. Its just a real lack of air until you are underway. Anybody ever deal with this or just live with it?

The solution is pretty simple.

You need an overhead console. The are several options available and I have a bias towards the one from Aerosport Products.

You install naca vents in the tail to drive air through the overhead. This gives you plenty of air while you taxi on the ground. It may not help if you are in the deep south, but in the midwest it works just fine.

Most people prefer the cold air blowing in their face or upper body as oppose to their crotch.

Geoff also sells a naca vent controller for those days when you don't want cold air in the overhead.

Bob , I don't think Geoff 's controlers are available quite yet as I have one on order for a few months now and still no word on delivery.
Ron

Hey Ron we just started shipping the NACA Controllers this week. I was going to make a post that they are shipping but this is as good of time as any.
So yes we are shipping and yours should go out next week.

Geoff Combs
Aerosport Products
http://www.aerosportproducts.com

Most are putting them directly behind the baggage bulkhead. One on the right and one on the left.

Then the scat tubes are routed straight up and into the back of the overhead console.

The vent/baffles that Geoff was mentioning can be place between the overhead console and the scat tubing to control the amount of air being forced into the overhead. This way you don't get any cold air bleeding through the vents in the winter time.

Phil

What about a clip on 12v fan for those hot days?

Along with a short strap just for taxiing like someone else has mentioned before. Much cheaper and lighter. I still get hot in the Cessna with a wing over my head, side windows open and fresh air vents a foot from my head. Overhead consoles are nice, but I think I will spend it on fuel, taxes, insurance, hangar rent. On to the aileron actuation then wing tips.

Last edited:
any pics or link to where builders are mounting the naca vents?

The rear naca vent on my RV-10. Located just behind the baggage area bulkhead. Some people have centered them on that panel, others have put them forward or aft. I haven't heard any conclusive data that indicates one location is better than another.

FP04032010A0001B.jpg

Ivan Kristensen has some photo's of Bob Condrey's and Geoff Combs' RV-10s that show the location of the reat naca vent.​

Hey Bob,

Of the airplanes you looked at/photographed, did you notice if any of them had a doubler reinforcing the NACA vent openings in the tailcone?

Mine are centered on the panel and I'm toying with the idea of putting a NACA shaped doubler on the inside of the skin to add-in any strength that might have been lost.

But at the same time, I might just be adding weight, work, and time too.. :)

Just curious if you noticed and because I didn't look at those specifically.

Phil

Hey Bob,

Of the airplanes you looked at/photographed, did you notice if any of them had a doubler reinforcing the NACA vent openings in the tailcone?

Mine are centered on the panel and I'm toying with the idea of putting a NACA shaped doubler on the inside of the skin to add-in any strength that might have been lost.

But at the same time, I might just be adding weight, work, and time too.. :)

Just curious if you noticed and because I didn't look at those specifically.

Phil

Actually, most of the RV-10s that I've looked at over the years don't have a doubler nor are they riveted into place. Most are just prosealed just like the forward naca vents in the Van's plans.

The one or two that I'm aware that did rivet the naca vent into place, did place an aluminum strip behind the vent to protect the vent from the shop head and to add some rigidity. I think this is the exception.

Either way works, do what makes you sleep better at night. Or as Van's support would say, "just proseal them and build on.....". :D

bob

Yeah, I proseal'd the front ones yesterday. I'll proseal the back ones today.

I was thinking of riveting a doubler to the skin and then prosealing the vent to the doubler.

I'll get started on that in a few min.

Phil

Just getting back to this post Geoff. Give me a call for my Card # if you don't have it. Any word on our switches ?
Thanks Ron

Back