What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 for primary flight training

flyindoorman

Well Known Member
I sold a RV10 due to divorce a few years back. My new and improved wife wants to learn to fly insurance agent says he thinks that its not possible to insure the 10 for her to take flight instruction.

Anyone have any experience with this situation?

Yep

My stepson wants to learn and I have the same problem. The answer is to "self-insure." If you're a CFI, just be very careful as to how far you let her go..

Best,

I checked with my insurance company a couple of years ago since my wife wanted to finish her PPL. Bottom line was, it could be done if I wanted to shovel enough $$ to the insurance company. The real issue is that you have to let them fly the airplane solo. That is where the insurance gets expensive! As Pierre says, self-insurance is an option. I could justify self-insuring the hull, but self- insuring the liability is out of my comfort zone. My additional insurance to provide Transition Training in my airplane was ridiculously high, and that was with me acting as PIC 100% of the time! I don't remember what the quote was to insure my wife as a student in the airplane, but it was way beyond anything I would have considered.
Also, the fact that it is a high performance airplane makes it a less than ideal as a primary trainer IMHO

I have a friend who just purchased a 10 this last year and he did his whole private in it. Took a few hours longer but had not issues. It was also insured through Jenny at Nationair.

My stepson wants to learn and I have the same problem. The answer is to "self-insure." If you're a CFI, just be very careful as to how far you let her go..

Best,

While I've always had insurance, a friend mentioned how expensive it can be,if you have an engine failure and safely land in a farmer's field. The recovery effort will damage a lot of crops and you will have to pay for it, which isn't cheap.

So even an excellent student with an equally excellent instructor can have a bad outcome.

With a 152 or similar, the student can safely experience bad landings, at least up to some point. in a -10, less so, because the cfi will have to intervene sooner to protect the airplane. I wonder if a -10 primary student ever gets to see/recover from a bounced landing? And of course spins are off the table. Similarly, the instructor cannot let unusual attitudes get out of hand. It can be done, but generally with more hours. And a -10 owner who doesn't mind less than perfect landings. Finally, the student should not get the idea that all airplanes perform like a -10. If he/she needs to rent a 172 it may be quite a shock!

Back