What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 flight testing

White

I'm New Here
Hi All

I have a harmonic pulse in pitch on my new RV10. 24 Hrs TT
This occurs at any speed and when a/c is trimmed neutral.
Stick pulses forward and aft and I can actually observe elevator horn moving about 1/8". I can find this "sweet spot" and put stick in this position in flight.

Has anyone observed similar characteristic?
Is there a damping solution?

There seems to be do I'll effect from this when testing near Vne for flutter.
However it's not something I like.

Tony
Western Australia

Happened to mine

I had a similar thing when I set both my trim tabs perfectly in line for cruise flight. More of a slow vibration resulted. I know most people are setting there trim up this way on the 10 though. I then adjusted one to be out of align by an 1/8" or so. Problem fixed. I led the issue to no pressure on the trim tab and it would osolate, not really sure. If I touched the stick with a bit of pressure it would stop. Never changed it back to see if it still happens. That was 370hrs ago. I reported that on my first flight. Only happened over 160kts.

A friend of mine had a similar experience but it had to do with the autopilot servo. Might not be the case here but is an idea....

Hi All

I posted a concern about elevator flutter at any speed in my RV 10, and I think I have discovered a solution.

By covering the lightening holes in the end rib of the horizontal stab with speed tape I have eliminated the pulse effect to the point I cannot feel or observe any movement in the stick.

Tony

Very interesting Tony! My -10 does the same thing but I've just gotten used to it but at first was a little disconcerting.

Speed tape on the stab, not the elevators, eh?

Thanks,

I wonder about mass balance.

I did pm you about this.

Other rv10 elevators have required extra mass, so what have done in this regard?

What data or theory is behind your claimed fix?

We have none, o what is different?:confused:

Back