What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Firewall Recess

Thank guys. I know what they look like; have an RV-10 firewall assembly right here. Interested in seeing what extends into the recess, and how far.

Nothing really just throttle, prop, and mixture cables coming through that area.
Nothing on the engine sticks into that area.

Attachments

• E1811F95-A744-4206-A0E9-28288FC60DE0.jpg
    E1811F95-A744-4206-A0E9-28288FC60DE0.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 231
On the stock IO-540 that recess is needed to remove and replace your oil filter. If you're thinking of mounting something in there be careful, you may find you can't pull your oil filter.

On the stock IO-540 that recess is needed to remove and replace your oil filter. If you're thinking of mounting something in there be careful, you may find you can't pull your oil filter.

How much depth do you need? Is it in the center of the recess?

How much depth do you need? Is it in the center of the recess?

I typically use a small filter, but last time used a 1068, which is much bigger. Unfortunately the filter is NOT centered in the recess. In fact, with the 1068, at least 1/3 -1/2 of the filter is above the top of the recess wall and honestly closer to the firewall than I would like. Will probably go to a smaller filter. Sorry, no pic available. C4B5 with std filter housing. If the designers intent was to leave room for the filter, it was a fail, though not really sure what the recess was designed for. Not sure ANY of the 540's had a governor on the back. The plans call for routing the control cables in the recess and suspect the recess is there to create more length for a lesser radius on those cables. One of them makes a relatively sharp bend to get under the oil pan. You can see what I am talking about in the pic in post #2. This bend would likely get excessive had the fixed point been 2-3" closer to the engine.

Last edited:
Oil Filter Adapter

Dan, I don't have a photo to attach right now, but I'll get one for you. With an oil filter adapter that inverts the filter upward, and then having SDS coil packs mounted up high on the engine mount cross bar, there isn't a need for a recess on my airframe.

My answer to your poll question on the other thread is that if I had it to do all over again, I'd have gone with a solid firewall and no recess.

Rv-10 firewall recess

Dan, I need the full depth. I am using the B&C second alternator that mounts on the vac pad. It needs the recess.

Back