What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Firewall Forward

T.O.Craig

Well Known Member
Hi to all,
I'm getting very close to ordering firewall forward kit from Van's. I will be using the stock Lycoming 540 with a back-up alternator. I'm curious if there are things that others have added or deleted from the stock list.

Thanks again for you input.....

Many options depending on your mission and desires:

TS Flightline hoses
Rod Bower RAM Air
Aerosport Products Mount Covers
Aerosport Products Hinge Cover
Non Stop Aviation Oil Cooler Valve
Electronic Ignition
Reiff Engine Heater
Airflow Oil Cooler
Stainless Steel Heater Box Valve
Quick Drain Oil Valve
Hidden Oil Door Hinge

These are just a few off the top of my head. Tim Olson (myrv10.com) has a list of probably even more options, as well as detailed listings of the FWF kit.

If you got your engine from Van's, you'll also need the bushing kit for the Plane Power alternator. I still don't understand what this isn't a part of the standard FWF kit. Search the archives for more background information

Like Bob said, all kinds of thing you could add. Having said that, here's what I deleted from the FWF kit:

ES ALTERNATOR DELUXE 60A kit
VA-189 FUEL LINE IO-540 (this is the line from the mech fuel pump to the servo)

Because of my setup (AFP fuel injection with purge valve and G3X sensors) I'm adding a -4 fuel line from the purge valve to the firewall, two -6 fuel lines to replace the VA-189 (two because I'm inserting my redcube between the mech fuel pump and the servo) and I'm replacing the VA-119 MP hose as it's way too short for my application (I would have deleted it had I known this at the time).

I'm also replacing the stock breather tube with the Anti-Splat Aero setup.

Last edited:
With the stock mag set up you need Slick start but it is not included in the package. Also make sure you get the heavy duty starter, not sure what they come with now but I had to swap mine out.

With the stock mag set up you need Slick start but it is not included in the package. Also make sure you get the heavy duty starter, not sure what they come with now but I had to swap mine out.

I concur. Bob highlighted two important issues if you have a VAN's OEM.

Skytec used to swap out the starters for no cost, but I believe they stopped doing that.

bob

I'm adding a remote oil filter kit, too. Trying to get a horizontal oil filter out without spilling oil down the accessory case is just no fun.

With the stock mag set up you need Slick start but it is not included in the package

I bought the slick start with the firewall forward kit, but I never installed it. I was curious as to how the engine would start with the stock setup, and it worked fine (both in hot and cold weather). I didn't want to add the extra weight, so I sent the slick start back. 340+ hours and no problems.

Bob

Es Alternator Deluxe

Like Bob said, all kinds of thing you could add. Having said that, here's what I deleted from the FWF kit:

ES ALTERNATOR DELUXE 60A kit
VA-189 FUEL LINE IO-540 (this is the line from the mech fuel pump to the servo)

Because of my setup (AFP fuel injection with purge valve and G3X sensors) I'm adding a -4 fuel line from the purge valve to the firewall, two -6 fuel lines to replace the VA-189 (two because I'm inserting my redcube between the mech fuel pump and the servo) and I'm replacing the VA-119 MP hose as it's way too short for my application (I would have deleted it had I known this at the time).

I'm also replacing the stock breather tube with the Anti-Splat Aero setup.

I'm curious what you replaced the alternator kit with? Thanks Craig

My bad, I should have explained why I deleted that kit. I needed more juice than 60A, so for the alt kit, I simply bought the PlanePower 70A model instead from ACS. The alternators come with all the required mounting hardware regardless of where you buy them from.

Last edited:
My bad, I should have explained why I deleted that kit. I needed more juice than 60A, so for the alt kit, I simply bought the PlanePower 70A model instead from ACS. The alternators come with all the required mounting hardware regardless of where you buy them from.

Unless you get the OEM IO-540 engine from Van's. You need the new bushing kit, which at the moment, isn't included in the FWF kit. Van's has been charging folks $35 for it.

It's a long story and in the archives.

bob

Unless you get the OEM IO-540 engine from Van's. You need the new bushing kit, which at the moment, isn't included in the FWF kit. Van's has been charging folks $35 for it.

It's a long story and in the archives.

bob

IOW, what Bob is saying is if you go with the YIO-540 experimental engine from Van's you also need to purchase the bushing kit. All other versions of the 540 should be OK. In my case, I have a BPE rebuilt C4B5 so the alternator fit perfectly out of the box.

Thanks to all again,
I'm assuming that these bushings are for mounting, and spacing the alternator for correct alignment..:eek:

Thanks to all again,
I'm assuming that these bushings are for mounting, and spacing the alternator for correct alignment..:eek:

Correct. the standard bushings that come with the alternator fit perfectly with all other installations. The new bushings move the alternator about 3/8" to accommodate the new ring gear that vans switched to accommodate the folks in brazil, but to the detriment of folks everywhere else.

If you don't do anything, your belt may come off in flight and/or you may experience a shortened belt life.

A few other things to consider:

Vans has been providing less and less hose FWF with firesleeving - mostly oil lines. TS Flightlines can cover with firesleeving or make up new custom ones.
FWF Fittings - Vans provides aluminum fittings mostly, many prefer to change to Steel
Starter and Master relays are needed, but not provided in any kits
The engine will need a tach cap unless you are using an analog guage - http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/tachcap.php?clickkey=20931
If using the throttle quadrant and a Hartzell governor (sometimes provided by vans in FWF kit) then you may need the Hartzell arm replaced with PN 103568

Back