What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 finish kit

togaflyer

Well Known Member
Thinking of ordering a finish kit before the Van's price increase takes effect. Are there items in the kit I should consider deleting and replacing them with a improved after market product.

Ernst is funny. To me, asking a bunch of guys on the internet about aftermarket add-ons is kind of like asking who you should date or marry. It is a personal sort of decision. In my view, there isn't a single part of the kit that is significantly deficient. Well, maybe those door safety catches, I left those off. Most of us went with the Matco axle, but I've seen knowledgeable folks argue that the stock axle can work fine, if set up carefully. So, who's to say? Some will say you need to empty the bank account on chrome door handles and carbon fiber cup holders, and others will say you need to have your head examined if you do. Great thing about experimental aviation is you get to decide for yourself.

You will have a great airplane no matter what you decide. Enjoy the build,

Last edited:
The Matco front wheel/axle is a no brainer.
I deleted the main tires and went with the Monster retreads which are slightly larger and force you to open the wheel pant openings a bit which is a lot easier whilst building. I really like those Monster tires. With 125 hours they are wearing amazingly slowly and evenly. Great value for the price. SWA uses 100% retreads across the fleet because they get more service life for a cheaper price.

When we were using first run premium brand tires on our previous aircraft it seemed like we were buying at least one every annual.

Although I have not had any issues yet with the Van's stock nose wheel assembly, I do wish I had made the delete and gone with the Matco. In addition to better design, I understand that its a bit lighter and it looks really cool with the wheel fairing off. ;)

Other than just happening to read it on this site, how do you know what alternatives are available to swap out?

Other than just happening to read it on this site

That about sums it up for me. Been building for about 4.5 years and been reading this site for about 6 years. I guess you just start picking up what people like to swap out and why.

Back