What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 engines

Dorfie

Well Known Member
Please help.
Which IO-540 suffixes can be used in RV10? I'm sure there is a list on this site, but cannot find it.
IO-540-C4B5 appears to be limited to 2575 RPM producing 250 HP. What needs to be done to make it turn 2700 RPM producing 260 HP? Can it be done? Does it have to do with counterweights on crankshaft?
Thanks.
Johan

Please help.
Which IO-540 suffixes can be used in RV10? I'm sure there is a list on this site, but cannot find it.
IO-540-C4B5 appears to be limited to 2575 RPM producing 250 HP. What needs to be done to make it turn 2700 RPM producing 260 HP? Can it be done? Does it have to do with counterweights on crankshaft?
Thanks.
Johan

Change the govenor. Internally the C4B5 and D4A5 are indentical. I have a 250 HP C4B5 that was rebuilt by BPE and it now produces 260HP at 2700RPM according to the dyno.

I installed an IO540 V4A5 (260 hp) in mine and it required a little modification of the lower cowl for the forward horizontal fuel servo.

As I understand it, the D4A5 fits all the standard mount, cowl and FWF components. Other variants can, of course, be used but may need some modification.

I wouldn't worry about 250hp against 260hp - the aircraft can never be accused of being short on power!

I have an N1A5 on mine. Slightly heavier from bigger crank diameter and 5th and 6th dampers. Everything else is the same as the D4A5.

Change the govenor. Internally the C4B5 and D4A5 are indentical. I have a 250 HP C4B5 that was rebuilt by BPE and it now produces 260HP at 2700RPM according to the dyno.

What Todd said. Just set up the governor to give you 2700 RPM. Lycoming confirms that this is correct.

Back