What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Engine Hanging

douglassmt

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to hang my engine (yeah!) and have been perusing the posts on that topic on VAF. There isn't much on the IO-540, and I'm sure it's pretty simple. One question I have is that the guide I did find
(http://www.vansairforce.net/articles/IllustratedGuideToEngineHanging/enginehanging.htm)
talks about the elastomer "donuts" being different, and are placed opposite at the top and bottom motor mounts. I can't distinguish a difference in the Lord mounts that came with the FWF kit, and the plans don't mention anything about it. Is this not applicable on the RV-10?

Last edited:
I'm getting ready to hang my engine (yeah!) and have been perusing the posts on that topic on VAF. There isn't much on the IO-540, and I'm sure it's pretty simple. One question I have is that the guide I did find
(http://www.vansairforce.net/articles/IllustratedGuideToEngineHanging/enginehanging.htm)
talks about the elastomer "donuts" being different, and are placed opposite at the top and bottom motor mounts. I can't distinguish a difference in the Lord mounts that came with the FWF kit, and the plans don't mention anything about it. Is this not applicable on the RV-10?

There isn't a difference with the Lord mounts. At least I couldn't see a difference and they all had the same part number.

I found it easier to get the bottom bolts first, then align the top bolts. My first attempt tried the reverse and I could get the holes aligned. I also had a load leveler from Harbor Freight that was of immense value, although it wasn't approved for aviation use.:D

difference between upper and lower mounts

The actual motormount parts are all the same. Each mount consists of two doughnuts, one is stiffer/heavier than the other.
What is different is the assemby sequence. On the lower mounts, the stiffer half of the mount goes behind the mount ring. On the upper mounts, the stiffer half of the mount goes in front of the mount ring.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Thanks all. It does seem that there is a difference between the 6/7/8 and the -10 in that the donuts are the same on the -10. I'm planning to use a small forklift instead of an engine lift. It seems to have the sensitivity and degrees of motion I'll need - we'll see - and it's already in my shop. I can see the pucker factor being pretty high while that pretty thing is up in the air, though!

Good luck Bryan. My progress is pretty slow right now. Three more weeks of intensive work and then I can get back to airplane building. Can't wait.

All done!

Well, as they say at Staples, "That was easy!" Lifted with a forklift and a load leveler (Thanks Bob for that tip), moved it up to the engine mount put in first bolt, then second bolt, bottom two took about 2 minutes longer than the first two, but they all mated very well. Tightened and torqued, and now my airframe has a beating heart...about 30 minutes start to finish.

Another task on the long list of tasks that turned out much easier than I expected.

Fiberglass...I hate that word right now Bob!

Prop arrived yesterday. Engine due June 1st.

Finishing up around windows/doors with filling and sanding. Then on to engine mount/gear. Bob, I measured my mount hole dimensions and they are different from yours on several by 1/16"-1/8". Maybe the reason some have problems aligning things. Also if our drill bits wander off center on that first hole that could make a difference. Gotta get the correct nose wheel per Matco for the Van's supplied tire/tube next week.

Finishing up around windows/doors with filling and sanding. Then on to engine mount/gear. Bob, I measured my mount hole dimensions and they are different from yours on several by 1/16"-1/8". Maybe the reason some have problems aligning things. Also if our drill bits wander off center on that first hole that could make a difference.

I suspect you are correct. When Phil and I were having the conversations earlier, we noticed the the pilot hole was typically within the circumference of the mount hole, but not centered. Fortunately, the mount hole does a good job of keeping the drill bit from wandering with the final hole.

Back