What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 earth

Can someone inform me were the earth is suppose to go all the way to firewall or use a short one at the battery end on the RV10 with rear battery mount
Just starting to think about wiring
Cheer
Charlie

If you buy Van's wiring package option, they have you ground the battery to the frame with a short cable just forward of the battery mount tray.

Charlie,

The question you ask ranks right up there with asking what type of primer shall I use. The answer is that builders do both methods and they both work.

I fall into the camp that ran everything back to the forest of tabs on the firewall. Yes, it meant I paid a little weight penalty to running the additional #2 up front.

Many builders install conduit starting at the aft edge of the baggage area floor, then transition to the side walls under the rear seat. Mine end just forward of the spar. You can find photos on my build log. I pulled a 3/4" and 1.25" conduit to each side, as well as another 3/4" to under the rear seat where the comm antenna are located.

The instructions for the Van's electrical system are floating around on the Internet. I found them interesting as in it gave me some ideas on how to do a few things. However, it will give you a very simple, basic, working electrical solution. Most builders tend to install an electrical system that is more robust than Van's design like Nuckoll's Z-14 or. Vertical Power solution. I installed a dual bus solution using a VP/X.

Local attached grounds have been used for ever in aluminum aircraft. That strategy is well proven. I felt that the single distribution point of grounds was a better solution for me. There is no correct answer to this discussion only the answer that best meets your needs.

Bob

Mine is grounded at the battery area. Both batteries are.

No problems form doing it that way.

Charlie,

The question you ask ranks right up there with asking what type of primer shall I use. The answer is that builders do both methods and they both work.

I fall into the camp that ran everything back to the forest of tabs on the firewall. Yes, it meant I paid a little weight penalty to running the additional #2 up front.

Many builders install conduit starting at the aft edge of the baggage area floor, then transition to the side walls under the rear seat. Mine end just forward of the spar. You can find photos on my build log. I pulled a 3/4" and 1.25" conduit to each side, as well as another 3/4" to under the rear seat where the comm antenna are located.

The instructions for the Van's electrical system are floating around on the Internet. I found them interesting as in it gave me some ideas on how to do a few things. However, it will give you a very simple, basic, working electrical solution. Most builders tend to install an electrical system that is more robust than Van's design like Nuckoll's Z-14 or. Vertical Power solution. I installed a dual bus solution using a VP/X.

Local attached grounds have been used for ever in aluminum aircraft. That strategy is well proven. I felt that the single distribution point of grounds was a better solution for me. There is no correct answer to this discussion only the answer that best meets your needs.

Bob
Thanks guys I thinking go with all the way to the firewall
Charlie

The only time you need a #2 wire ground to the firewall to act as a return is when the engine is cranking. Most of the time the current is much much lower.

Why not ground in the rear and then put in a much smaller wire sized to the maximum demand from the battery to act as a ground return to the single point at all other times?

Back