What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 door struts

vanduyn

My door struts are not holding up the doors any more. Question, the HD door struts that Van's sell are they a direct replacement or will a mod be required. Any advice would help.

My door struts are not holding up the doors any more. Question, the HD door struts that Van's sell are they a direct replacement or will a mod be required. Any advice would help.

Direct replacement. I have them on my RV-10

bob

Replacement Struts

I had the same problem and I found 600 newton direct replacement struts at Bansbach Easylift in Melbourne FL. 800-225-4498 Item#10017Y1 and p/n
A1A1F50-100-287/600N @ $62.00 per strut

Just a note, give them a call to order as they are more set up to do business with other companies, not end consumers; and their web-site reflects this.

Also, their site won't find: item code 10017y1 or p/n A1A1F50-100-287/600N but they had no problem selling them to me over the telephone.

-Jim

Anyone know off the top of their head how many newton the stock strut is that comes with the -10?

Anyone know off the top of their head how many newton the stock strut is that comes with the -10?

Bare minimum???

Oh, I guess you wanted numbers:rolleyes:

My struts are getting weak, sometimes they will not hold the door up when cold. I find that if I open the door all the way, and hold it open for a few seconds, they will stay.
Open part way and down they come.

I don't have a -10, so I'm not familiar with the size/force required, but these guys have pretty much anything and everything gas spring... Might be a good source for different force options in the same size? :confused:

500?

Purely off memory, I think it was 500N. I returned the heavy duty ones since I saw flexing of the aftermarket bracket (Planearound) which was causing cracks in the epoxy that I used to blend them in. I'm afraid I may be relegated to using standard struts for the life of the airplane (or dive back into cabin cover/fiberglass work and risk shooting myself!). :D

David

I just replaced mine with the standard Van's struts. The old ones at 4+ years were getting weak and did not work well in cold weather. The new ones are great and have plenty of strength. IMHO, unless you have a door that is heavier than standard due to modifications such as arm rests, latching mechanisms, etc., the standard struts have plenty of strength, but you will probably be replacing them every few years.

Brian & Brandi,
I think it's 500 newtons on the old ones, but don't hold me to it. Mine lost pressure right away, so I ended up with the HDs from Van, which I think are 600 newtons. One of them is already getting slow after a year. Frankly, my brakes have lasted longer....
John

Back