What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 - Dimple Tailcone Bottom & Side skinsat F-1006 Bulkhead

ERushing

Well Known Member
I'm confused and could use some clarification. Working on this today and would prefer to avoid waiting until tomorrow to ask Vans.

On page 10-16, Step #3 indicates that I should dimple all skin holes except those associated with the Empennage Gap Covers & Fairing, the holes associated with the F-1006 bulkhead, etc.

If I don't dimple the holes common between the bottom skins, side skins and the F-1006 bulkhead now, how do they get dimpled? I'll be riveting the skins together just aft of those holes and won't be able to separate them to dimple when it comes time to join the fuse & tailcone. It amounts to four holes at the front of the bottom skins and side skins (between left & right sides).

Any advice?
Thanks!

If I recall correctly you have lots of match drilling to do on that 1006 bulkhead when you start fitting the tailcone to the fuselage. I don't know if you have the fuselage section of the book yet but page 32-5, starting on step 2 is where you start the dimpling process on the bulkhead and the tabs on the bulkhead. Hope that helps a little.

Jason

Read ahead...

Hey,been quite some time since I worked on that section but if you read ahead to section 32 tailcone attachment, it should become much more clear...

All gets match-drilled and dimpled - skin and 1006 A/B/C flanges - when you attach the tail cone to the fuse. The 1006 bulkhead is not attached to the tailcone until mating the fuse and tailcone.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.

The confusion comes in that when riveting the tailcone, the tailcone bottom skins and tailcone side skins are riveted together except for the holes corresponding to the bulkhead. At this point, those holes are undimpled. All the rest are, of course dimpled for flush rivets. It appears that I will have to dimple the two skin holes common to the bottom and side skins & bulkhead at the same time (Bulkhead would be dimpled separately.) I read ahead in the plans and they simply state to dimple the holes common to the bulkhead when attaching the fuse to the tailcone. Maybe I'm making too much of this. i just haven't seen an instance where two nesting holes are dimpled simultaneously.

All the holes in the skins around, and, the F1006 will be matched drilled when its time to attach it to the fuselage. Look at the skin rivet page (last page). Also, dont dimple the holes listed on the rivet page for the vertical fairing. I just finished up the cone and about to attach the empennage.

Maybe I'm making too much of this. i just haven't seen an instance where two nesting holes are dimpled simultaneously.

It's not normal practice but it works just fine, especially for these thin sheets. When I did the baggage floors, I forgot to dimple the rear flange ( and that same F-1006 bulkhead ) on one of them and didn't notice until it was riveted down. Rather than drill it all out, I just dimpled them in place and you can't tell it from the other side. Build on.

Back