What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Custom Panel

Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
I have started planning my panel and will soon be out for quotes on the turn key product. I am searching for a few specific components.

First I am looking for the raised edge fiberglass panel with a center stack.
second, I would like the throttle quad in the center built into the section between the panel and the center console. Third I would like a center console and last an overhead console.

Anyone that can point me toward suppliers still in business and pictures of similar panels would be appreciated.

Pat Stewart

Stein has a carbon panel panel that is manufactured by Geoff Combs. I'm local to Geoff and I can attest to the quality of the panel. If you search the threads, you can see several that talk about the panel.

Geoff is currently working on a throttle quadrant option. I don't know the timing on when it will be ready.

My -10 has a custom Stein panel, never had an issue with it or Stein! ;)

Seriously, let him quote your panel. The quality work he does, the experience he has, and the level of service after the sale is second to no one. Stein speaks RV fluently.

http://www.steinair.com/

jims.jpg

The plant was optional, but adds a nice touch to the dash.

Last edited:
new panel

I had originally gone with Accuracy Avionics SOLELY because they offered the fiberglass panel and console options I wanted and at the time Stein did not. I have exactly what you are looking for with the quadrant on the console. However, I finished with Stein when AA went under, and now that he offers the composite panel there is not a single reason I can think of not to go with Stein, the work is first class, and it is a stand up company. I do not have the console installed or the quadrant mounted, but I can work a picture of it if you would like. The panel itself is poted on the 'show me your panel' section of the forums. Without trying to sound like a commercial, give Stein a call and see what he can do for you.

Eric Kallio 40518
Wiring panel

Panel Build

I have owned a certified repair station in Phoenix for some time and recently I have delved into the experimental market. These panels are so easy as compared to certified aircraft that if you find what you want I can build under any quote you get from probably anyone else and remember I own a CRS so you know the level of quality you'll get.
Charlie
602-369-7421

I have owned a certified repair station in Phoenix for some time and recently I have delved into the experimental market. These panels are so easy as compared to certified aircraft that if you find what you want I can build under any quote you get from probably anyone else and remember I own a CRS so you know the level of quality you'll get.
Charlie

Tell us why your panel is a better value.

Anyone that simply states that they can deliver cheaper than anyone else is probably indicating the quality of service provided.

I know nothing of your service, but I think you are sending the wrong message. You may do great work, but please don't just compete on price. You won't be around long if you do. I would recommend that you compete on the value delivered for the price.

Everyone wants to get something for less money, but stating that you'll underbid anyone is a red flag to me.

I just meant that these panels are a snap compared to the certified stuff I usually work on. I recently did an RV-10 mod and it turned out awesome. The avionics for experimentals are so intuitively designed that it saves an insurmountable amount of time. I punch out a CAD design, waterjet the panel and wire it on the bench and configure it all there as well. Interfacing it to the airframe is like putting a square peg in a square hole, it was simple. The customer was astonished at the time I saved him and my bill was half of any other quote he got from the "RV Professionals". My work is impeccable as I have been doing this for some time on a wide variety of aircraft ranging from fighters to corporate as well as the common 182. I'm in no way trying to brag but I think a lot of people are getting taken to the bank on these avionics upgrades.

Purchasing principals

One of the basic principals in purchasing is to seek bids on a project and throw out the high one and the low one. The assumption is that neither know what their costs are and thus don't know the profit margin. You will find that most reputible companies bid with in a very close price range.

I just don't know how to read you. I think more competitors is a good thing, but us customers also want you to make a reasonable profit so that you can stand behind your work and be here down the road when we need service. If you are way cheaper than the other guys, something does not click for me, sorry.

Gary Specketer
40274 Flying

I see where you are coming from. You would think that someone with an aviation based MBA would have approached the subject a little more tactfully but it was so easy and I was astonished at the other quotes the guy received from other organizations.

If I seemed cocky in any way I apologize to whoever read my excerpts but I really think people are getting WAY overcharged on these upgrades.

Maybe I?m wrong and I just haven?t done enough of these to even have a say but as I do more of these mods I?m definitely taking pictures of my work as well as the completion timeframe and posting it on this website along with testimonials.

The guy with the 10 that I just completed showed his buddies and now they are starting to line up so I?ll keep you guys posted.
Again, sorry for throwing up any red flags.

Panel

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I have secured the panel and center console. I have also secured a deal on the panel with Stein. As soon as I have the panel I will post pictures.

Pat
RV8,RV8A,J3Cub
RV10 Building

Back