What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 cost breakdown

digidocs

Well Known Member
Do any -10 builders have a completed cost breakdown?

I've seen final numbers from 130K to 200K, but I'm curious if anyone has actual cost breakdown data like on Van's cost estimator.

Thanks,
-DC

Uh Oh....I gues that 60K ride Louise gave you the other day might turn into a bit more, huh Dave? :)

Personally, I know of a couple that got finished for right around $100k (look up Dean Sombke and his very nice RV10), but I also know of a few that broke the $200K barrier as well. I'd say those are the extremes, but overall the average I've been seeing for most of my customers is in the $150-180K range. Of course most of my customers that are RV-10 guys are doing fairly high end IFR panels too. Avionics are one area where you can drastically change the cost of your plane. It's hard to do much of a panel for less than $40, but the sky is the limit from that point!

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

I will probably be in the 150 range when done with a flyable aircraft. Panel had dual GRT, SL40, 327xpndr, Digiflight 2vgvs, AvMap. Backup round gauges.

This is minus paint, and plain jane interior.

But, my numbers are a bit iffy, as I bought a project that was well along, so I can only make an educated guess as to the actual cost of things prior to my acquiring it. But I am pretty close.

From memory of the past 4 years 9 months:
Kit $38,000 my cost plus shipping
Engine&Prop $44,000 my engine is not a lycoming
Avionics- Blue Mountain EFIS/One, AP two radios CDI, electric 6 pack. $39,000
Interior including seats in leather $4,500
Insurance over the four years-$4,000
Paint $6,500 -I got away cheap!
Misc stuff $6,000
Hopefully this will help.

Free RV rides are always the most expensive

Paul,

Thanks again to you and Louise for the ride last week. RVs are incredible machines. I might also need to get the recipe from dinner because my going out budget may take a big hit... :eek:

-DC

I'll do my best to convert back to USD$ for our RV10 which is not complete yet but fully costed down to the last thousand or two. (We had others data to help).

All Vans Kit items inc engine & prop $104K
Misc items, paint trim etc $10K
Garmin 530/340/SL40/327/296 ant's etc $18K
Dynon D100/D180/AP76/HS34/Servo's all probes etc $11.5K
Freight $6K

Thats totalling USD$150K, of course we are going to have some local GST and a heap of expert labour in certain areas so I expect that to hit USD$200K by the time we are done.

Cheers
DB :cool:

My forecast

Empennage $3790
Wings $7705
Fuselage $12934
Finishing Kit $12500
FWF $5700
--------
subtotal airframe: $42,629

Painting, self, forecast: $4000
ATC Workshop, Griffin GA $2195
Tools $2120.00
Instruments $900
ADI Pilot (Art. Horizon and autopilot control): $2750
Engine (196H SMOH O-540) $13033
Wiring $500
Miscellaneous $340
Panel: MGL Odyssey EFIS-EIS, probes, GNS430W, xpdr: $18,000
Upholstery: $2800 (leather)
Prop: new: $6200

Anticipated forecast total: $95,500

Doug, I'll bet you a carton you go over the ton! $95K is just to low, but more power to you if you manage to do it!

I think your instruments and misc items will get you over the line in the end.

Even at 100K thats cheap!

DB:cool:

Aiming low

I am looking for bargains and opportunities and have saved lots just on the engine so far. Having a low-compression engine I expect to be able to save also by using autogas sometimes. I don't mind a used transponder and a single (but monstrous) EFIS/EIS (with steam gage backups). It'll still be a great plane for VFR and light IFR!

Doug.

Thats great Doug, I am glad to see you are having a win in a few areas.

Ohhh and I am going to ruffle feathers here....... so do not be hurt by it, but there is no such thing as light IFR. Its VFR or IFR.

So equip you machine accordingly, and fly according to the conditions and rules.

Cheers

re: under 100, maybe

When I started on my -10, 5 years ago, I was figuring around 80K. But with cost increases & my deciding to go quick build on the fuselage, I think I'm going to be around 100K. If I run over that, it won't be by more than 5K. I too got a bargain on my engine, simple, low time (235 hrs), 0-540, needs to be converted for Van's prop, very little, so-to-speak, there. I'm using Dynon
D100 & D120 and Dynon's autopilot, used KT76 transponder and an Icom
A200, and panel mounting my Garmin 295. Steam a/s & alt. for backup. If I have Calvin paint it, I know it will probably go over the 100 mark. If my brother paints it, I'll probably be under.
I know resale value means a lot to some folks, but I'm really building this airplane for me. It's really not much more than an unjustifiable a toy anyway.:)
When I retire, the kids will be out of college (hopefully), I'll use the airplane to visit them where ever they may wind up. If the weather is not good, I'll stay where I'm at till it is.
When the time comes to sell the airplane, the new owner can outfit it to suit him.
I'm keeping a very close log on all expenses. I keep all receipts in separate file folders labeled paint, tools, avionics, engine, & airframe, although, I won't consider tools in the actual cost of the airplane.

Marshall Alexander
RV10 N781DM
fuse/inst. panel

RV10MAN

You should be banned!!!! :eek:

It's really not much more than an unjustifiable a toy anyway.

If you need it, want it or deserve it, you should have it! :D

Any excuse will do!

Cheers!

Back