What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 completion rate

apirkle

I was playing around with aircraft registration databases today and was able to identify 380 registered RV-10s. Van's reports 437 completions, so I'm only missing 57 planes.

I broke down the number of flying -10s by serial number. 363 of the registrations provided builder number as serial number.

For builder numbers below 40500, the completion rate is about 45%. If the 74 planes I'm missing S/Ns for follow the same distribution, that pushes the rate up to about 55% for low S/Ns.

RV10-completions.png

The highest builder number I've seen is 41373 (found in a thread from this August), so only 32% of the tail kits sold have been completed and registered. I would say the 55% real completion rate sounds a lot better.

The drop from 44% to 28% completed for S/N 40500-40599 is interesting. I wonder if that corresponds to kits sold around the time the economy took a nose dive?

Some other random tidbits from the registration data -
  • The highest completed builder number is 41331: N351MA registered to Moonshine Aviation LLC. If kit 41373 was sold just a few months ago, these guys must build awfully fast!
  • 70 aircraft are registered to corporations or LLCs while 357 are registered to individuals (missing this info for the 23 planes in Canada).
  • I found 324 RV-10s registered in the USA, 23 in Canada, 33 in Australia and 1 in New Zealand. I'm guessing that many of the 57 planes I'm missing are located in other countries.
  • I apparently had way too much free time on my hands today

Last edited:
Adam, interesting data. There are a lot of RV -10s built in Brazil. As for the 500-599 numbers, that would have been tail kits sold in 2005 or therebouts.

As a related aside, there are also serial numbers attached to the wing spars, the fuselage cover, doors, and other parts. I've noticed that my numbers have changed only a little as I moved through the kit, suggesting that my 5-1/2 year build may be about the median value.

The database for Brazil show 255 registered RV-10s. Add that to the 380 I found and there are at least 635 flying. Van's tally of 437 is way off!

Many folks don't see any value in letting Vans know they are flying. I know several myself.

It appears that I'll be right at the six year mark when I anticipate getting my pink slip. Three more weeks in a cast, two more in a boot, then hopefully I can start Phase I shortly there after.

A search of the UK register database (G-INFO) shows 10 registered of which 5 are flying - hope to make that 6 late next year or early -14 :D

There may be other kits out there which have not applied for registration yet - it's not required until you actually fly although you can do it before to get the reggie you want. I tried to get G-SPOT but it had already gone........ ;)

Hey - I'm 41373...working on the wing kit now. I did see a post a few down the list from builder 41412, FWIW

==dave==

Statistics?

I suppose this tells you what the chances are of an individual tail kit/serial number getting completed, but I think what most folks are more interested in is: what are the chances of an individual builder finishing his/her kit? I am the third owner of my tail kit and I know others who bought previously owned tail kits and other subkits. The builder completion rate will be much lower, don't know if it's possible to estimate it accurately, though. I just knew that when I started, my completion rate was going to be 100% :)

Last edited:
Back