What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Checkout/Transition Training?

Dad's RV-10

Well Known Member
My father is nearing completion of his RV10. I fly for a living but have little GA time in the past 15 years.

I'm looking for recommendations for transition or familiarization training in an RV10. I'm in west central FL and NYC but can travel, if necessary.

Thanks.

AU

Last edited:
Hi AU

I got RV10 transition training from David Maib in New Symirna, FL. I was very happy with him. Sounds like he is not too far from you.

Niko

David Maib is a good and close choice. Although I thought I saw something about him doing a panel update. You should give him a call directly to find out about availability.

Pierre Smith is in Georgia, as well as Vic. I wasn't aware that Vic was a CFI and providing transition training. He's an excellent DAR and Flight Counselor.

Alex De Dominicus is in the Dallas area. I did my transition training with Alex and I can't speak highly enough about the experience.

If you want an excuse to go visit the factory, go train with Mike Seager.

I contacted Pierre Smith about two months ago about transition training and he stated he no longer does it due to insurance costs. In addition to David Maib, there is also Alex DeDominicis near DFW Texas. http://www.rvtraining.com/

+5 for David Maib
Did my transition training about a year ago.
Nice guy, professional.

I'm a low time pilot and was very comfortable with him.

However, my first flight after run up was still " oh well, here goes.........." ;)

Thanks, Dave.

Tom hanaway

I bought a used RV-10 and wanted to learn in my own plane. Not to say that it can always work this way, but David's wife drove him across the state and we flew my plane back to his location in New Smyrna. The training was fun, efficient, and effective. He won't stretch it out to milk your wallet. When you're done, he sends you home. He has also been willing to answer questions by phone and email after training. I highly recommend David Maib.

BTW - The coast of Florida is a beautiful place to fly.

Although I thought I saw something about him doing a panel update. You should give him a call directly to find out about availability.

I am doing a panel update. The first electrons will probably flow on Saturday. If I don't release any of the magic smoke, I should be back in business in about a week. (third week in April?), but get in touch with me via PM, email, or phone to make sure I am up and running.

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. The best part of providing the Transition Training is meeting all of the really nice people involved in this fascinating hobby/pastime, or whatever the heck it is!

I am doing a panel update. The first electrons will probably flow on Saturday. If I don't release any of the magic smoke, I should be back in business in about a week. (third week in April?), but get in touch with me via PM, email, or phone to make sure I am up and running.

Thanks for all the kind words, guys. The best part of providing the Transition Training is meeting all of the really nice people involved in this fascinating hobby/pastime, or whatever the heck it is!
Dave, I'm out flying for a couple of weeks. I'll be in touch when I'm back in the states.

What does your panel update consist of? My father is installing a two screen Chelton and a VP400. Will you still have the Chelton? It would be a boon if I could get some experience with that.

AU

My father is installing a two screen Chelton and a VP400. Will you still have the Chelton? It would be a boon if I could get some experience with that.

AU

Brad, as luck would have it, I just removed the Chelton Dual screens and have installed the GRT Hxr. I also have the VP 200 Duo. Three weeks too late for the Cheltons.

Did my transition training for the 10 with Alex in Texas. Very enjoyable and informative. Was thinking about using my buddy's 10 and a CFII locally to get the 2 hours the insurance requires, but decided to fly to Texas and spend time with Alex. Best money I've spent so far!

Anybody on the West Coast - SFO or LAX preferably? I may need to get some training done and would probably fly in from Hong Kong.

Back