What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 cabin door weatherstripping

broken1234

I'm curious about the various cabin door weatherstripping options out there. It seems that there isn't really a continuous mating surface that isn't inturrupted by either the door latch pockets or the door latch pins. Is water intrusion a problem? Air? What are you folks using for the actual weatherstripping?

RV-10 Door Seals

I have spent a lot of time looking into this. There are really four basic ways to do this that I have found:

1. Use Van's stock door seal material. On my RV-10 the doors fit perfect and worked great, right until I installed the door seal. Once you glue them on it is almost impossible to move them.

2. Trim the lip off of Van's stock seal and glue them into the cabin top door channel. I have a friend with a RV-10 with this and it actually looks good and works better than the standard door location.

3. Use the http://www.aviationtechproducts.com/rv10_door_seals.html

4. Trim the flange back on the cabin top door opening and then use a press on seal. This is the door seal that Ed Hayden used on his RV-10 from McMasterCarr

P/N: 1120A311 Edge-Grip Rubber Seal Bulb Opposite Grabber, 3/16" Edge, 3/8" Bulb Width (Same as 1120A31)

This is the best installation that I have seen and I purchased the seals to do it this way. The problem with it is that the seal shuts on the face of the door where you would normally have fabric and you have to figure a way to stop the fabric and make it look good. It also makes the door opening look finished, this is more like the Columbia 350/400 and the Cirrus.

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Back