What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 builders, give me your honest assessment of what you might pay for this plane

avee8tor13

Well Known Member
All,

I am going through a divorce and need to try and get some idea what my plane might bring if I were to sell it. My plan is to keep it but thought it might be helpful in assessing what the fair market value of the plane may be through other's eyes. Please review my site and give me what you might be willing to pay for a plane similar to this one.

http://avee8tor.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Tims-RV-10/2336280_Yo3ae#1245539005_itpre

Thanks all for your honesty and feed back.

Possible detractions:
Used mid-time engine (750 hours - Signature overhaul)
Steam gauges
GNC 300XL Garmin Nav/com
Garmin 327 Transponder
240 Garmin Audio panel (not tso'd)
Standard interior

Last edited:
Just a reminder to potential posters that the previous thread on this wandered off topic and was closed.

I think Pierre's post from the last time was about the most useful one. It's really hard to be accurate without an up-close inspection. The pictures seem to show good workmanship but you correctly point out some potential detractors and the plane has not been thoroughly tested. Also, a buyer would have no hope of getting a Repairman's Certificate for the plane. Personally, I wouldn't take it for more than the cost of the engine as a core. Not being mean; I'm just pointing out the potential variance due to personal perspectives. In my case, if I wanted a built airframe, I wouldn't now be building my own. I'm in no need of steam gauges and so the only real value to me would be to salvage the engine and rework it for my own installation. But that's not an appraisal of your aircraft; that's an assessment of its worth to me. What you really need is some kind of market appraisal and I'm not sure where you'd get that. An aircraft broker, maybe?

Thank you Patrick for your response.

I have no idea why my last post went amuck, I simply asked those I though with the most knowledge of RV planes and their thoughts on what the potential value of this plane might be. My wife and her attorney are thinking this plane is worth 200k and you and I both know that is not the case. By posting on this site, I was hoping to try and get some kind of a baseline or someone that might be able to offer their services in the field of aircraft evaluation. I was really surprised on the run away post. Reguardless, I will try find an apprasier or broker to assist in this matter.

I do not plan on selling the plane. That can change. :(

Kind Regards,

Avee8tor13

All, I've seen this aircraft in person and it is very nice, if somewhat plain as the OP described in the original post. The build quality is there, it just doesn't have mods or lots of bells and whistles. So my estimate would be $150K on the low end and $175-$180K on the high end.

I'm with Todd on this one

Sorry to say so but this airplane won't bring the parts cost because of the shortcomings...steam, mid-time engine and so on. My airplane had over $200,000 in it and it went for much, much lower than that! Here's my interior.

Dash-10.jpg

It also had a brand new Aerosport IO-540 and a Flightlines leather interior.

Suggestion: Print this thread for your ex-to-be and her lawyer.

Best,

Van's cost estimator!

Sorry about your troubles.
Alfa Charlie Bravo has it right.
Van's cost estimator is your best bet, surely you won't be charged for your
own labor.

Cheaper to keep'er.;)

I agree with Todd and Pierre. The other RV-10 forale has $30k of glass and avionics that this one doesn't have.

A flying, painted ten in SoCal just sold recently for 130K, as I recall.

I paid 125K for my project------glass panel, fresh O/H engine, lots of extras. But that was about four years ago, market has gone down since then.

All, thank you for input.

All,

Thank you for your honest input and candor. I do hope everyone success and troublefree building on your projects.

OH, I have 4.5 hours on her now and she flies very nice. No heavy wing or unusal yaw.

Avee8tor13

Back