What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Build Cost

bhassel

Well Known Member
Ok, like Pierre I have the directive to start a 10 and in my case forget the 9 (emp started). I need to build some hours along the way to keep the insurance reasonable (is that a reasonable statement?).

I've been looking at the costs associated with building the 10 in comparision to the 9. The kit for the 10 is 20K more, I can't imagine having any differences in the panel from the 9 to the 10 so I'm planning on about 20K there. I should be able to get a mid-time 540 for about the cost of a new O360 about 25k (yeah I know but I live in high altitude mountainess areas so 360 it was).

Not counting interior, paint and prop that comes to about 85k. Yet I hear that most folks plan on $150 (way out of my league). Even at 10k for the prop at 95k I'm still way below that. I understand project/dollar creep but I'd have that anyway until the family CFO had a budget analysis meeting...

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Bob

RV-10 costs

Van's website cost estimate numbers are conservative. I don't think you'd do it for under 120k unless you have some radios or engines stashed away in the basement.

There will be cost creep simply because there are so many components and supplies needed plus you will want a little upgrade here and there.

re:110

I just sold my RV10 kit/project today. With a basic day/night VFR panel, used radio and transponder, scrounge for an O-540. No paint. You can do it for less than $110K. I was using (and had) all Dynon (D100/D120) and Dynon AP. Everything else very basic.

Marshall Alexander

You're a little high on the prop (Hartzell from Van's around 7k) and don't forget the FWF kit from Van's that has everything else you need besides the engine and prop (hoses, prop gov, FAB, oil cooler, etc) - around 6k from Van's. That's a delta of +3k to your figure.

It's pretty easy to come up with another few thousand in misc "stuff" and finding a 540 will be a challenge (but doable). The 110k figure mentioned earlier is probably a realistic absolute floor to have a flying plane.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM

I finished mine this spring for about 120K. All slow build, used IO540 - 23K,
panel cost 28K IFR with trutak AP, dual AFS 3500s, Garmin 430W, 327, SL40, 496, interior, flight lines 4K, self done paint 1.5K, transport and freight 3K.
Lights, trim system, FFW kit, prop, ......

I had estimated 100K when I started 5 years ago

Eric Gohr
N410EG - Flying and grinning

Well if you build it with a full IFR setup and do a really nice job of it, plus you ACTUALLY keep all your receipts and add them up, you could easily spend USD$205,000 with all new engine/prop and Garmin 530/340/327/SL40 Dynon D100/D180 HS34 & AP74 etc.

now I admit we have some extra shipping costs over here but thats what it really takes. All the little bits add up.

Our order value on Vans alone was USD$104,000 ex the factory.

DB:cool:

Agreed...

Some rather well educated RV owners and builders in Lawrenceville, Ga. and other places have figured $165,000 or better for a painted, IFR, upholstered -10 with everything new, including the engine/avionics. I'd be afraid to estimate a lower price, given today's economy and most prices, including Van's, rising. With most everything used, it probably could shave 25-30,000 off.

My .02,

RV-10 Cost

It's to bad they cost so much. They sure are nice airplanes.

COST SO MUCH!!! Go online and compare the cost of purchasing any airplane built and flying with less than 300 total time to the price of RV-10's that are being sold with the same amount of flight time. Cost of an an RV-10 whether you build it or buy it already built and flying is less than half the cost of any other comparable airplane flying today.

I only wished I had discovered Van's Aircraft 20 years sooner.

COST SO MUCH!!! Go online and compare the cost of purchasing any airplane built and flying with less than 300 total time to the price of RV-10's that are being sold with the same amount of flight time. Cost of an an RV-10 whether you build it or buy it already built and flying is less than half the cost of any other comparable airplane flying today.

I only wished I had discovered Van's Aircraft 20 years sooner.

True, but for most of us.......$165,000 is a lot of (hobby) money.........

Yeah they're expensive.

I'm estimating $180K to get through the project and to be honest I don't know where all that money is going to come from. But I do know that when it comes time to order the next kit, I find a way to save up the money and get the kit ordered.

So we're making progress on the kit - but I'm not sure exactly what the future hold. So far, everything has worked out to keep the project moving in baby steps.

Keep building!

I added my costs up the other day and I will say that some stuff just adds up..I'm more than 175k and less than 220k but....Mt. High O2 for example...5k, I coulda saved on that...I did my own paint...about 10k saved there. I had to move my airplane to Boulder City to fly phase one..$150.00, DAR insp $400, shipping is really a shock but nothing like to OZ....One thing my friend and I laugh about, when we first began this adventure we complained that a Cleco cost a .25 cents and you need how many?

I know several ways to save now from then when I started but I think I could sell my RV if needed and get my money out of it. Insurance during the build was good peace of mind, that was about $900 per year. Most -10 owners I have talked to seem to agree that if you take the kit price times 3 plus 10 percent you have a good number. Go basic avionics, big savings, find a core and rebuild...some savings, two blade prop vs. three...There are lots of varibles to save or totally blow your budget.....Mine is still half the price of a comparable Cirrus and I can do all the maintenance and the inspections...That's gotta be worth a good chunk of change each year and last weekend I went from Vegas to Burbank in 1.3 and burned about $60 in avgas each way...Three people to SoCal for about $40 round trip each....Southwest wanted $44 each way and we bought a big bottle of shampoo and didn't have to throw it away at the gate:D

A few years back, when the -10's were first being built, a friend and I used to joke that there seems to be a premium $$$ amount added to any part that is going in an RV-10. The seats cost more, carpet costs more, etc.

But, when you are finished you have one heck of a nice plane! Fast, good useful load, easy to fly, no landing gear issues, you can land it on grass, do your own maintenance, etc. If someone offered me a good number for my -9, the tail kit would be ordered the next day. Oh, wait, what did I just say? :eek:

I'm about 3/4 way thru with my -10. You can do a bare bones, scavage the parts -10 for $110,000 if you do ALL the work yourself. But most of us want more than bare bones so the price goes up. I went with the QB and it's been the best extra $12k I ever spent.

Thanks for the replies!

Someone off line made me think about the mission and what I was trying to accompolish; wise man - thanks!

In all honesty, an extra 50k - 60k buys a lot of golf clubs across the country. I think I'll start off by finishing and flying my 9 first. I just don't want to divert that much cash...yet.

Let's see as I get older that's about the cost of an nice 9 and a 12!

Thanks gang!

Bob

Those that point out the end result are spot on - you wind up with something with performance comparable to a Cirrus for half (or less) the cost. There are flying examples equiped from basic VFR through solid IFR with air conditioning and the cost varies accordingly.

With that said, I'm enjoying mine immensely and would instantly start building another if I were to sell mine. While not actively looking to do so, build withdrawal is high!

Bob
RV-10 N442PM

And that is only 1/2 the cost

And then I have to match each $ spent on the planes with equal $ on the house. That house sure getting expensivs!!! :eek:

Here in Brazil they a being professionally built by a few companies and the prices are around $185K with basic flight and engine instruments. No avionics. But they do come out nice with perfect painting, beautiful interior, at customer's choice. Come with Brand new IO540 260HP lycoming engine and CS hertzel 2 blade prop. i am getting one that is supposed to be ready in April 2010. Still not decided on panel.. another 20K or so there.

Van wrote about building his own RV-10 in the RVator, 4th issue 2007. He enjoyed a few factory discounts, of course, but he calculated the cost to build his airplane at retail cost. He has an Aerosport IO-540 and a quickbuild airframe. 110-115K.

Last edited:
Van wrote about building his own RV-10 in the RVator, 4th issue 2007. He enjoyed a few factory discounts, of course, but he calculated the cost to build his airplane at retail cost. He has an Aerosport IO-540 and a quickbuild airframe. 110-115K.

That is for the kit and engine etc........ you can find another $35K or more in avionics, before you wire it, or pay Stein or someone to wire it, and then there is paint etc etc......

As some have already pointed out a nice job will cost you anywhere from $180K plus. And anyone who starts a project thinking they will get a Cirrus beater for less than that is in for a big surprise.

Most people will need a bit of Pro help along the way so that adds up too!

That is for the kit and engine etc........ you can find another $35K or more in avionics, before you wire it, or pay Stein or someone to wire it, and then there is paint etc etc......
too!

No, if you read the article Van's cost for the entire flying airplane was 110-115K. Most people do spend more than Van did on on avionics, interior, and professional paint, but these items don't make an airplane faster or safer. They do impress the crusty old guys who hang out at the airport. ;)

Last edited:
Andy.........2008 prices in USD$ and before we shipped anything. Ex Factory. This is just the BOM for items from VAN's.

Now tell me how you can freight, paint, trim and put any avionics in for $5-10K.

Sorry to blow everyones bubble, but it really can not be done unless you forget about a whole pile of incidentals.

I have ours fully costed as best I could and I reckon there is a few thousand missing from the .... $50 here $20 there etc. There were a couple of circuit breakers there, to add to what I had already available, so you will get the general idea!

Qty Part Number Description Price each Total

1 XIO-540-D4A5 Lycoming 260Hp $37,150.00 $37,150.00
1 C2YR-1BFP/F8068D Hartzell propellor RV-10 $6,510.00 $6,510.00
-1 Discount Combination discount $1,000.00 -$1,000.00
1 Freight ex Lyc/Hartz to Vans $449.00 $449.00
1 ES AIRFLOW PUMP High Volume Elec Fuel Pump for RV-10 $385.00 $385.00
1 ES AIRFLOW FILTER Fuel Filter $135.00 $135.00
1 Empennage kit RV10 Emp&Tail cone kit $3,500.00 $3,500.00
1 RV10QB RV10 Quickbuild kit (wings and Fuse) $33,780.00 $33,780.00
1 RV10 Fin Kit Finishing Kit RV10 $12,715.00 $12,715.00
1 EA-10 KIT Electric Aileron Trim $320.00 $320.00
1 LL10MR-16 RV-10 Landing Light Kit $95.00 $95.00
1 Float Fuel Sending Units (2 supplied) $54.00 $54.00
1 $0.00
1 Crate charges - AIR freight shipment $60.00 $60.00
1 Crate charges - Sea freight $1,225.00 $1,225.00
1 FF-10 IO-540 Firewall Forward Kit RV-10 Const Speed $5,725.00 $5,725.00
1 CT10-3 Throttle Quadrant $510.00 $510.00
3 BOLT EYE3/8-16TD Tie Down Ring $4.25 $12.75
1 BRAKE PARKING PV-1 Park Brake Valve $115.00 $115.00
1 BRAKE PARKING INSTALL Install Kit for PV-1 $179.00 $179.00
2 SBH TT10F BLACK Front Seat Belts RV-10 $82.25 $164.50
2 SBH TT6 BLACK Rear Seat Belts RV-10 $79.00 $158.00
1 LN SYS6 Light/Strobe kit System 6 $825.00 $825.00
1 COWL HINGE PIN-LEFT 6ft. Hinge Pin 090 with Tab $12.20 $12.20
1 COWL HINGE PIN-RIGHT 6ft. Hinge Pin 090 with Tab $12.20 $12.20
2 WING WALK BLACK Black generic non-skid wing walk $15.95 $31.90
1 FUEL VALVE FS 20X7T Andair 90 Degree "lift and turn" fuel valve $205.00 $205.00
1 ES A-510-2K Magneto switch with start $112.00 $112.00
7 ES PBB-10 C/B & Switch $23.00 $161.00
1 ES PBB-5 C/B & Switch $23.00 $23.00
1 ES CB 1648-009-060 60amp $18.00 $18.00
1 ES CB 1600-081-35 35A C/B $16.00 $16.00
1 ES PBB-5A CB 5A C/B $11.00 $11.00
1 CA SEAT SET REAR 10 Rear Seats $315.00 $315.00
1 F P5000 Oil Quick Drain $62.00 $62.00
1 Additional door lock $0.00
1 TOOL BOX KIT Tool Box Kit Practice Project $26.00 $26.00
Total US Dollars $104,072.55

I don't own an RV10, but have done a lot of avionics work on them (more than any other shops I think) and I've seen every extreme. I personally know of a very nice RV10 that was built for $110K initially...but, it had a mid/high time used engine on it, used prop, used and older generation avionics, a simple low cost EFIS and wasn't IFR. The plane was painted by the builders, and is nice but not fancy. They've slowly been upgrading the avionics to at least minimal IFR and although their engine is running great it will be due a major at some point.

Given that the average IFR panel can range from $35K and up to and approaching the magic $100K mark, it's pretty hard to do a new RV10 with new engine, new interior, paint, etc.. for that $110K price. The reality is that most of the people I know with finished RV10's are in the $160+ range. Some a lot higher and a few a little lower. As David stated, while it is possible it's not probable if you really outfit it nicely as most people do. Most people build these as serious cross country machines, which means at least mid range IFR equipment which means typically $35K+ in avionics. Can you do it cheaper, yes...but not easily.

In the end, even if you equip it with the latest/greatest panel, you still end up something competitive to a new Bonanza/Cirrus for a LOT less money!!

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Agreed Stein

And for $35K you would not get a full suite of you beaut Garmin Goodies either. From memory our avionics hardware, was USD$28K alone, before I added any wire circuit breakers etc. I know how much time was involved building the panel and looms....and I employ an avionics engineer who did this for a living prior to working for me, so I reckon you can add another USD$10K for that....maybe more.....we never tracked that bit closely as it was just us doing it after hours....You would be a much better person to give a rough number. And then wiring the airframe and interconnects, if you pay someone to do that as well probably another $5-10K.

My only warning to any builder is treat this seriously, once you start there is no going back............ like building a house, you think of a price and add another $80K. Same for planes, just not sure what the formula is yet! :)

Cheers

David :cool:

It's all worth it..

....after I gave a friend a BFR (Biennial flight review for the foreigners:)) in his new Cirrus yesterday. This is a very,very well equipped airplane...dual 430W's and such, dual Avidyne screens with Wx and approach plates. Guess what?

He figures 170KTAS at 7500...pretty close to a -10 at more than twice the price.

Keep pounding those rivets men/ladies,

Back