What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Brakes: Are Cleveland's Adequate?

9GT

Well Known Member
Patron
OK,,,,here's a question for those RV-10 owners with time on the plane. Are the Cleveland brake/wheel assemblies supplied by Van's in the kit adequate for the -10? The reason I ask is if they are not, I would like to swap them out for Matco's before I install them,,,,which I am close to doing now. We found out too late that the Cleveland's we put on the Cozy MKIV which appear to be similar to the RV-10's with a single piston were really a poor choice by the designer and ended up swapping them out a year later for the Matco's which improved the breaking tremendously. Thanks for your thoughts!

I don't have any experience with Matco brakes, but I can tell you after having the supplied Cleveland brakes on my RV-10 for almost 700 operation hours that they provide more then enough braking for the RV-10. Now I did just have a leak on my left side caliper and after removing it from the plane and cleaning it up and removing the piston, I found a small wear lip on the inside and some pitting. I sanded it out with sand paper and installed a new O-Ring, everything is fine now once again. Cheap repair when you can do it yourself and the O-Ring cost about $1.

Thanks

Ray

Back