What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 baggage compartment

skychick

I'm New Here
My husband & I are 2 years into building our RV10. Just recently started construction on the baggage compartment. Up to now I have primed ( green)
all the ribs, longerons etc that called for it. At this point I am not sure whether to prime the floor & side panels of the baggage compartment?
I don't want GREEN to show up on the metal parts later after we have the airplane interior apholstered.
BTW do most folks insulate & apholster the baggage compartment or leave it in a basic metal condition ?
Should have checked on this at Oshkosh. Too many other things to see.
Thnx

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Ineke, welcome aboard:D

I would not do any insulation, upholstery, or soundproofing in the baggage area.

Reason?? Weight, and potential for holding moisture, thus leading to corrosion.

I just got my 10 weight and balance all figured out, and the baggage area being the farthest thing aft (of the variables) makes it something to be aware of.

Vans designs the floor/structure to a load of 150#, but with four standard FAA humans, and min fuel, I can only have 27# of baggage without going out of CG.

I would not do any insulation, upholstery, or soundproofing in the baggage area.

Granted I've only seen a handfull of 10's up close, but everyone of them, except Van's demo, had carpeting over the entire interior to include the baggage area. Most also had some type of covering up the sides and the baggage bulkhead.

I'm planning on using a Flightline interior and the baggage area gets carpeted. As a result I will not be priming/painting any areas that get covered either by carpet or a cover of some type. YMMV....

There is another option.......

The kydex interior panels that Geoff sells at Aerosport Products. They're easy to install and easy to take back out if you want to inspect underneath.

bob

Hi Skychick,
also have a look on page 22 of the RV10 Progress pages, I have used a combination of leather and carpet. Yes it is heavier, but nice. :D

RV10 baggage compartment

Thanks for the good info & the options available for the baggage compartment. I appreciate the response !!
I am new to this site & already have found an incredible amount of usefull information on a lot of topics in reference to the RV10.
After some consideration I will probably go for the upholstery
( not apholstery ....sorry, English is my 2nd language )
Checked with flightline interiors & the baggage upholstery weighs only 5 lb.
Since the back seat will be occupied by a 45 lb doggie most of the time I think
I will go that route.
Thanks again for the help.
Ineke

Back